Subject: Swapping Version and Packet Number fields

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 11:28:15 +1100

Ian has a PR open that switches the order of version and packet
number.  We discussed this in the context of invariants at the last
meeting and there seemed to be general agreement that moving the
invariant stuff (Version) ahead of the version-specific stuff (packet
number) was a good idea.

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/939

I plan to merge this soon.

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:41:23 -0800

+1. I think this PR makes sense, and I've only heard support on the list so
far.

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 20:50:45 -0800

On 11/28/2017 4:41 PM, Jana Iyengar wrote:

> +1. I think this PR makes sense, and I've only heard support on the
> list so far.

It does make sense, but it means that we are jettisoning any hope of
version negotiation down to FF000007 from FF000008. Which means that we
have a timing issue. When do we switch from one to the other?

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 16:32:23 +1100

We will have to coordinate that.  Hopefully no one is crazy enough to
deploy this, so it's only a question of interop targets.

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 23:01:18 -0800

Good point, but as Martin notes, we can be careful around interop. There is
no real deployment yet, so we're safe. (Also, this is a good reason to do
this swap now if we're ever going to do it.)