Subject: spin-bit

From: Georg Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 17:48:01 +0800

Hello,

talking from a 5G/3GPP perspective.

In 3GPP we are evaluating currently to use QUIC as transport for
practically all our Core internal functionalities (known as "Service
Based Architecture" (SBA)). In 5G all this communication will be API
based and we'll use HTTP/2, this was already decided.

In the upcoming release (Rel-15, deadline: June/Sept 2018) we will not
make use of QUIC, as we don't foresee that it will be completed until
then. But we are evaluating it to become part of Rel-16.

Now looking on the discussion today - just as a personal note with my
3GPP/IETF Liaison glasses on - I see it as problematic if e.g. RTT and
losses cannot be determined by the network operator (putting it simply).

Looking at the specific deployment of QUIC we are looking at (i.e.
network-internal communication) I guess that not having the spin-bit
could for some operators and vendors be a real blocking point when
looking at QUIC.

This was not discussed in detail within 3GPP yet, but as the decision is
coming up now in QUIC I'd like to give this as a warning, that if the
spin-bit is missing from QUIC then it's adoption for transport of
network-internal communications (at least in the 5G area) might turn out
to be a problem which in the end might leave 3GPP only with the option
to use TCP/TLS for these purposes.

Cheers,
Georg

-- 
Georg Mayer
3GPP CT Chairman
Mobile: +43 699 1900 5758