Subject: TCP transport draft

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:34:46 +0200

I've just submitted a draft describing TCP as a transport for RADIUS.
 Much of the text re-iterates existing specifications, and says that
nothing has changed.

  A few TCP-specific issues are noted.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dekok-radext-tcp-transport-00.txt

  Alan DeKok.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:13:02 +0200

Hi,

some small glitches:

2.2.  TCP Ports

~   IANA has already assigned TCP ports for RADIUS transport, as outlined
~   below:

~      * radius          1812/udp
~      * radius-acct     1813/tcp
~      * radius-dynauth  3799/tcp

1812/tcp.

2.6.3

~      * Packet from an unknown client (using the key as defined above)
~      * Packet with an invalid code field
~      * Packet that is less than the minimim RADIUS packet length
~      * Packet that is more than the minimim RADIUS packet length

more than the maximum.

Should there be some more TCP usage profile guidelines in it, like
recommending TCP PSH when a RADIUS message is complete, or should it
remain at the sentence "We RECOMMEND that implementors of this
~   specification familiarize themselves with TCP application programming
~   concepts." IMHO, a little more handholding wouldn't hurt.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

- --
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:19:58 +0200

> some small glitches:

  Fixed, thanks.

> recommending TCP PSH when a RADIUS message is complete,

  There's no socket API to do that, so far as I know.  The closest thing
is that the kernel *usually* will send the data if it's written by
write() or send(), as one call.

> or should it

  I think that this document isn't the place to get into programming
guidelines.  If people want to know about TCP application programming,
there are books && lots of source available.  This document should
concentrate on RADIUS && TCP interaction issues.

  Alan DeKok.