Subject: Issue 250

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:30:25 +0700

"In section 5, the Ext-Length field is defined as the length of the Extended
Attribute.  I think you mean it's the length of the TLV (multiple TLVs can
be
in the Extended Attribute).  I think that would make the value ">=3", not
">=4"."

That being the case, maybe it would be more descriptive to make the names of
the fields to "TLV-type" & "TLV-Length"?

"It's probably worth calling out any artifacts of overloading attribute 26
which wouldn't apply to standard attributes in the original number space
(or apply to overloading a new attribute instead of 26)."  

Of course, since it's only the format that needs to be inherited from VSAs,
the overall Type can be changed...

"For example, attribute 26 is already specifically excluded from some RADIUS
message
types, e.g. CoA-NAK,"

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why that is so?  

"so new Extended Attributes couldn't be included in
those messages, but new standard attribute could be."  

Extended Attributes could be legalized for those messages in the exactly the
same way as for new "standard" attributes: through an updating RFC.

"Also, are malformed VSAs always treated just like malformed non-VSAs?"

Don't the rules defined in RFC 2865 apply to all attributes?

"I think it would be useful to explicitly mention if recursive grouping is
allowed and that Extended Attributes cannot be grouped with non-Extended
Attributes."

I have no idea how recursive grouping could be done with this scheme, but if
it could I don't know why you would want to outlaw it; one of the benefits
of the (apparently confusing) sanctioning of Ext-Types 0-256 is that it
makes it impossible to encapsulate legacy attributes in Extended Attributes
(although the legacy attribute space _could_ be duplicated in the first 257
slots, possibly a decent idea...

"It's probably useful to mention what happens when an Extended Attribute's
tag is non-zero and it contains multiple TLVs (this does not seem to be
excluded -as multiple TLVs are when the M-bit is on)."

I thought that that was obvious...what is unclear?

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>