Subject: i18n issues with RFC 4282 (NAI)

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:56:54 +0100

I am cross-posting this message to WG's that may be affected by recent
discussions surrounding i18n issues with RFC 4282.  I am requesting a
few minutes on the agenda of each WG at the next meeting to discuss
these issues in more detail.

  In summary: RFC 4282 has some problematic text surrounding i18n.  Some
of the suggestions are unworkable, some are incorrect.  No AAA vendor
has implemented the problematic suggestions, which is good.

  There is a push to issue an update to RFC 4282 that would address
these issues.  The updated document would match current practice, and
would remove the problematic suggestions in 4282.  Based on the
discussions so far in RADEXT, it looks like AAA implementations will not
need to change in order to be compliant with the updated draft.

  Some software will have to change, but this may be limited to EAP
supplicants that put "local" characters into the EAP-Response/Identity
field, rather than using UTF-8.

  Alan DeKok.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:45:53 -0700

We will reserve time on the IETF 73 agenda for this. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Alan DeKok
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 6:57 AM
To: 'radext mailing list'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: i18n issues with RFC 4282 (NAI)

  Alan DeKok.