Subject: FW: Protocol Action: 'Carrying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter' to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 15:04:01 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:37 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: geopriv mailing list; geopriv chair; Internet Architecture Board;
RFC Editor
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Carrying Location Objects in RADIUS and
Diameter' to Proposed Standard 

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Carrying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-24.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-24.txt

Technical Summary

 This document specifies RADIUS attributes for conveying access  network
location information, in both civic and geospatial location  formats,
along with access network ownership.  The distribution of  location
information is a privacy sensitive task.  Dealing with  mechanisms to
preserve the user's privacy is important and is  addressed throughout,
for various scenarios of location information  function within AAA.

WG Summary

 The WG reached solid consensus to advance this document after  a number
of iterations.  The WG had initial hesitation about  taking on the work,
because the RFC 4119 pidf_lo object could  not be used within RADIUS
attribute size constraints.  The  WG concerns were met with an eventual
functional compromise,  providing a mandated attribute with the pidf_lo
policy markers,  and opaque attributes pointing to the geopriv location
formats developed for DHCP which had constraints similar
 to RADIUS.   

 This document is a Critical Requirement for 3GPP.  Both the  GSM
Association and the ITU have specified Operator Namespace  Tokens for
use in this protocol.  (The document has customers).

Document Quality

 The protocol was reviewed in depth by both the GEOPRIV and  RADEXT
Working Groups.  RADEXT's formal issues list was  cleared.  GEOPRIV and
RADEXT had some overlapping  issues, especially location information
design,  and scenario evaluation.  The conclusion that location-  aware
AAA systems need to be able to implement the  formats and processing
found in the GEOPRIV documents  was very useful, because it meant that
GEOPRIV did not  have to intercept or anticipate any enhancements of the
RADIUS data model. 

 The document is especially careful in projecting GEOPRIV's  paranoia
towards exposing location information.  Section
 8.3 contains a detailed review against the previously  defined
requirements related to this, and the Security  Considerations details
the use of security services  RADIUS provides as the using protocol to
meet requirements.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>