Subject: [radext] RDTLS #66 (new): NAT nits

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:27:06 -0000

#66: NAT nits

 ''8.2. "Network Address Translation (NAT) is fundamentally incompatible
 with RADIUS.  RADIUS uses the source IP address to determine the shared
 secret for the client, and NAT hides many clients behind one source IP
 address."''

 There are no problems with full cone or ALGs acting as proxies.

 Recommend:

 Some forms of Network Address Translation (NAT) are incompatible with
 RADIUS....

-- 
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  peterd@…                 |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  trivial                  |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  RDTLS                    |     Version:  1.0       
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |    Keywords:            
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/66>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:37:05 +0100

Hi,

>  There are no problems with full cone or ALGs acting as proxies.

Is that really true if DynAuth is concerned? A DynAuth packet needs to
reach the actual NAS. If there is >1 NAS behind any form of NAT, how
would the NAT ALG proxy figure out how to forward to which NAS?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

-- 
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

---

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:11:56 -0000

#66: NAT nits

Changes (by bernard_aboba@…):

  * owner:  => aland@…

 Reporter:  peterd@…                 |       Owner:  aland@…                  

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/66#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>