Subject: Re: Consensus poll for IANA #409959 NAS-Port-Type value request

From: Avi Lior <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:43:12 -0400

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments.

On 11-04-11 14:46 , "Dave Nelson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Avi Lior <[email-masked]>
>wrote:
>
>> WiMAX decided that it want an explicit indication of the type of NAS
>>and hence wants to use the NAS-Port-Type to determine the context of the
>>call.
>
>In other words, using NAS-Port-Type to mean NAS-Type.  If the
>properties of the port itself are the same, this seems confusing.
>Maybe what's needed is a NAS-Type attribute?

I still think its a NAS-Port-Type.  A given NAS may have different
NAS-Port-Types or more to the point, offer more then one type of
connection/service.

The finest granularity is the "Port" or the connection or the service the
is being authenticated/authorized.

In any case, the NAS-Port-Type is good enough.  I don't think we need to
invent another thing.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: Avi Lior <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:19:32 -0400

See inline...

-- Avi Lior
--Bridgewater Systems

On 13-04-11 13:27 , "Dave Nelson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Avi Lior <[email-masked]>
>wrote:
>
>Yes.  Do you envision a situation where a single NAS would report an a
>802.11 port type on one connection ans a WiMAX-802.11 port type on
>another connection?

Actually yes.  Imagine if you will a web server that is authenticating
users for WiFi and one that is authenticating user for something else.

My point is that if I only worry about the "ports" instead of the NAS,  I
couldn't possibly fall into a "trap" later on.  The trap being the
assumption that a NAS is homogeneous.

The question then becomes what benefit(s) do I get for treating the NAS as
a homogeneous set of ports.

> Or would the NAS only report various combinations
>of WiMAX specific connections?
>
>> In any case, the NAS-Port-Type is good enough.
>
>Yeah, a lot of things we do with RADIUS are "good enough", even if
>they are not completely correct, in terms of a coherent
>object-oriented data model.  I'm not endorsing that behavior, just
>taking note of it.

>Regards,
>Dave
>David B. Nelson
>Sr. Software Architect
>Elbrys Networks, Inc.
>www.elbrys.com
>+1.603.570.2636