Subject: i18n and RADIUS

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:35:42 -0400

As discussed at the last IETF, RFC 4282 has some problems.  My draft
(expired) describes the issues, and proposes a way to address them.

  The Precis working group is looking at i18n issues across a wide
variety of protocols.  The framework document applies to RADIUS and to
EAP, though neither is explicitly mentioned:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-blanchet-precis-framework-02.txt

  I'd recommend reading Section 3, which defines stringprep "classes"
for names and secrets.  Section 10 deals with "confusable" strings, and
says that applications need to find a way to deal with them.

  It looks like the work in Precis will allow RADIUS and EAP to continue
with their current way of dealing with names and passwords.  Since
neither RADIUS nor EAP show strings to users, "confusable" strings can
be avoided in the protocol transport.

  Alan DeKok.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>