Subject: [radext] Data types in RADIUS

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:42:20 -0500

I wrote yet another draft.  It's not on the RADEXT charter, but I
think it is useful.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-dekok-radext-datatypes-00.txt

  In short, RFC 2865 Section 5 names and defines data types.  The later
RFCs didn't continue this practice.  They often didn't use the data
types defined by RFC 2865.

  This draft addresses that issue.  It names the data types, defines
them, creates an IANA registry for RADIUS data types, and updates the
"RADIUS Attribute Type" registry to include a "data type" column.

  There are no changes required for any implementation; past, present,
or future.  This document just makes the specifications match two
decades of RADIUS practice: attributes are defined as (number, name,
data type).

  Any comments are welcome.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Mike McCauley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 09:03:31 +1000

Hi Alan,

It seems that there are some WiMAX VSA's that can contain either a v4 or a v6 
address, such as 

HA-IP-MIP4

Description The IPv4 address of the HA for CMIP4..
Length 6 + 3 + ( 4 for IPv4 or 16 for IPv6 )

(there are other similar ones)

I dont think that possibility is covered by the types you have defined so far?

Cheers,

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 05:42:20 PM Alan DeKok wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> radext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext
-- 
Mike McCauley                               [email-masked]
Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd
9 Bulbul Place Currumbin Waters QLD 4223 Australia   http://www.open.com.au
Phone +61 7 5598-7474                       Fax   +61 7 5598-7070

Radiator: the most portable, flexible and configurable RADIUS server 
anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, NIS+, password, NT, Emerald, 
Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory, EAP, TLS, 
TTLS, PEAP, TNC, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, MOTP, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, NetWare etc.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:27:19 -0500

> It seems that there are some WiMAX VSA's that can contain either a v4 or a v6 

  Yes.

> I dont think that possibility is covered by the types you have defined so far?

  It isn't covered by the data types in the draft.  RFC 6158 Section 3.4
suggests that polymorphic types are "NOT RECOMMENDED".

  My idea with this draft is to define standard data types.  More can be
defined later.

  I expect that implementations will use non-standard data types.  i.e.
FreeRADIUS has 8-bit integer, 16-bit integer, MAC address, the WiMAX
IPv4/6 address, among others.  What is practical may not always be
suitable for standards action.

  Alan DeKok.