Subject: Re: [radext] #144: Definition of NAI

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 02:26:42 -0000

#144: Definition of NAI

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 1) I would prefer to define the NAI as a user identifier. i.e. it has a
 definition *before* any protocol-specific escaping.

 2) likely not.  Perhaps "inter-domain authentication" instead of "roaming"
 would be better.  Examples of roaming are widely known, and can likely be
 removed from the abstract.  It then becomes:

 ...
 In order to provide inter-domain authentication services, it is
 necessary to have a standardized method that domains can use to
 identify each others users.  This document defines the syntax for the
 Network Access Identifier (NAI), the user identity submitted by the
 client prior to accessing network resources. This document is a
 revised version of RFC 4282 [RFC4282], which addresses issues with
 international character sets, as well as a number of other corrections
 to the previous document.
 ...

 3) I'd prefer to talk about "the NAI".  Protocols that use their own
 encoding are unlikely to inter-operate with AAA systems.

 I'd suggest adding a new section "use in other protocols":

 ...
 As noted earlier, the NAI MAY be used in other, non-AAA protocols.  It
 is RECOMMENDED that the definition given here be used unchanged.  Using
 other definitions for user identifiers may hinder inter-operability, and
 the users ability
 to authenticate successfully.

 Where other protocols are not 8-bit clean, any transport layer MUST
 NOT affect the definition or handling of the NAI.  That is, if a
 protocol escapes the '.'  character as "%2E", then a string may be
 transported
 as "fred@example%2Ecom", whereas the NAI for that user is
 "[email-masked]".
 ...

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  critical                 |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  RFC4282bis               |     Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Candidate WG Document    |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/144#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>