Subject: [radext] Protocol Action: 'Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) Protocol Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-radext-radius-extensions-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 06:34:17 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) Protocol
   Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-radext-radius-extensions-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Ronald Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-radext-radius-extensions/

Technical Summary:

  draft-ietf-radext-radius-extensions-06 will be a Proposed Standard. The
  I-D adds substantial features to RADIUS protocol that are essential for
  the future of RADIUS and to meet the market demand. These new features
  extend, among other features, the standard attribute type space beyond
  the existing maximum limit of 256. Another remarkable area of
  improvement is the set of generic RADIUS attribute extension including
  long attributes with a value length greater than the current maximum of
  253 octets and standard way of encoding type-length-values with possible
  nesting for creating grouped type attributes.

Working Group Summary:

  Working group spent considerable long time on this document. The
  technical content and selected solutions have been extensively
  discussed in the WG. One of the technical points that faced long
  technical discussion related to concatenation of multiple attributes
  into a one long attribute. The current solution in the I-D reflects
  the WG consensus.

Document Quality:

  There are multiple implementations already available. Also given the
  current I-D is the second incarnation of the design, we can say the
  described solution is mature. For the future support and implementations
  of RADIUS there is no much choice than implement the I-D since current
  RADIUS attribute type space has almost been exhausted.

Personnel:

  Jouni Korhonen ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
  Benoit Claise is the responsible AD.