Subject: [radext] #166: Section 2.10

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 00:41:49 -0000

#166: Section 2.10

 Unlike DNS, the NAI does not make a
    distinction between A-labels and U-labels.  Is instead an IDNA-valid
    label, as per Section 2.3.2.1 of [RFC5890].

 [BA] The second sentence (which is incomplete) seems to contradict the
 first sentence.  Since a U-label is an IDNA-valid label, and the NAI does
 not require realms to be converted to A-labels, how can the NAI not make a
 distinction?

    There is, however, a problem with this approach.  A AAA proxy may not
    have sufficient information in order to perform the ToAscii
    conversion properly.  We therefore RECOMMEND that only the owner of
    the realm perform the ToAscii conversion.

 [BA] I don't understand why a AAA proxy cannot perform the ToAscii
 operation.  Since realms need to be FQDNs, they will be resolvable via
 DNS, not via mDNS, LLMNR, or NetBIOS.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  critical                 |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  nai                      |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/166>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

---

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 14:11:11 -0000

#166: Section 2.10

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 RFC 5890 defines an IDNA-valid label as encompassing both A-label and
 U-label.

 An A-label is solely ASCII.  A U-label contains at least one non-ASCII
 character.

 Both of the terms A-label and U-label are specific to DNS.  They are a
 historical artifact of the DNS protocol, and don't belong in a modern
 international-aware NAI.

 > I don't understand why a AAA proxy cannot perform the ToAscii? operation

 I think that text is left over from an earlier version of the document,
 when it wasn't clear what was necessary for i18n.  That has since been
 clarified.  I'll update the text.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  critical                 |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  nai                      |     Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/166#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>