Subject: [radext] #162: Section 2.6

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 00:24:13 -0000

#162: Section 2.6

 2.6.  The Normalization Process

    Conversion to Unicode as well as normalization is expected to be
    performed by end systems that take "local" text as input.

 [BA] While conversion to Unicode is typically handled by end systems,
 normalization is not.

 Inside of an AAA system, NAIs are sent over
    the wire in their canonical form, and this canonical form is used for
    all NAI and/or realm comparisons.

 [BA] This does not follow from the statement that conversion to Unicode
 occurs on the end system.  Existing implementations typically will not
 normalize the NAI as advocated in this document, and as a result, AAA
 systems CANNOT assume that the NAI is in canonical form, or even that the
 contents of the User-Name attribute is in fact an NAI.

    In contrast to [RFC4282] Section 2.4, we expect AAA systems to
    perform NAI comparisons, matching, and AAA routing based on the NAI
    as it is received.

 [BA] Since the NAI will not be received in canonical form, NAI realm
 comparisons cannot be done this way.

 This specification provides a canonical
    representation, ensures that intermediate systems such as AAA proxies
    do not need to perform translations, and can be expected to work
    through systems that are unaware of international character sets.

 [BA] Unfortunately, this will not work, because end systems do not behave
 as described in this specification.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  blocker                  |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  nai                      |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/162>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>