Subject: [radext] #161: Section 2.5

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 00:17:04 -0000

#161: Section 2.5

 * Realms MUST be of the form that can be registered as a
       Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) within the DNS.

    This list is significantly shorter and simpler than the list in
    Section 2.4 of [RFC4282].  The form suggested in [RFC4282] depended
    on intermediate nodes performing canonicalizations based on
    insufficient information, which meant that the form was not
    canonical.  This document instead suggests (Section 2.10) that the
    realm owner provide a canonical form of the realm, and that all
    intermediate nodes use that form without modification.

 [BA] While RFC 2486 states that the rights to use an NAI realm derive from
 ownership of the FQDN, this does NOT imply that the realm need be
 normalized!  It only implies that the realm, when translated into A
 labels, can be registered.  This is not the same thing at all.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  critical                 |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  nai                      |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/161>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

---

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:35:33 -0000

#161: Section 2.5

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 The text here is about registration, and does not require the realm to be
 normalized.

 The reference to Section 2.10 is perhaps what is confusing.  2.10 talks
 about proxies comparing input realms to pre-configured "known" realms.
 Those pre-configured realms should be supplied to the proxy by the realm
 owner in a normalized form.

 The simplest thing is to remove the sentence referring to 2.10.  It's
 unnecessary for the definition of the realm.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  critical                 |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  nai                      |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/161#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>