Subject: [radext] #176 (nai): draft-ietf-radext-nai-05: is the term *Network Access* Identifier still appropriate?

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 13:16:08 -0000

#176: draft-ietf-radext-nai-05: is the term *Network Access* Identifier still
appropriate?

 The document takes two conflicting positions on NAIs.

 In some places, it claims that the identifiers defined in this document
 are of generic use, particularly beyond network access scenarios (e.g. in
 Introduction, para 3 and 4; and section 1.3, third para).

 The document title itself (still) scopes the identifiers as "Network
 Access Identifier"; also the definition of the term in section 1.1
 explicitly speaks about "network access authentication".

 The document could be more consistent; if one is to follow the argument
 that such identifiers are for use beyond network authentication, then it
 is much more logical to reflect this in the name of the identifier, and in
 its definition.

 I don't recall this aspect already having been discussed on the mailing
 list; my apologies if my memory fails me. If it was indeed not discussed,
 I think this is worth bringing up. As an individual, my opinion is that a
 name notion of "Unique User Identifier" (or maybe s/User/Entity since it's
 not necessarily a human) would make more sense; "Unique" because the
 binding to FQDNs makes it somewhat (albeit not absolutely) unique.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  nai                      |    Version:
 Severity:  Waiting for Shepherd     |   Keywords:
  Writeup                            |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/176>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>