Subject: [radext] #198 (bigger-packets): track secdir review comments

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:28:38 -0000

#198: track secdir review comments

 Paul Wouters:

 I'm a little confused about when a size refers to a RADIUS packet size,
 and when it refers to a TCP packet size. eg:

     An implementation of [RFC6613] will silently discard any packet
     larger than 4096 octets and will close the TCP connection.

 But TCP is a stream, so it could be using multiple packets smaller
 than 4096 that would transport a radius packet that is larger than
 4096 bytes. (I assume in the beginning it couldn't since everything
 was limited by single UDP packets?)

 What does "maximum size of a response" refer to? TCP packet size or
 radius packet size? I think it would make the document clearer if the
 authors would go over all mentions of "packet" and "size" and
 specifically write it out as radius packet size or TCP packet size.

 I'm also confused by:

      Other attributes or configuration MAY be used as an indicator that
      large responses are
      likely to be acceptable.

 Are those attributes defined in another RFC? If not, this document
 should not hand-wave about non-standard attributes.

 The security considerations state:

      These attacks can be entirely mitigated by using TLS.  If these
      attacks are
      acceptable, then this specification can be used over TCP.

 This text is confusing. I think it means to say "These attacks can be
 avoided by using TLS". Because this whole document is about TCP, so
 there is no case where "this specification" can be used "not over TCP".

 nits:

 cloing -> closing?

 by including the attribute the client indicates -> By including the
 attribute, the client indicates

 an next hop -> a next hop

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  bigger-packets           |    Version:
 Severity:  -                        |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/198>
radext <https://tools.ietf.org/radext/>