Subject: [RADIR] possible problem statement ideas

From: Jason Schiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:13:09 -0400 (EDT)

The current inter-domain routing architecture is exhibiting super linear
growth in the amount of global and local state as well as the amount of
dynamics of the global and local state in the default free zone (DFZ), due
in part to current multi-homing, traffic engineering (TE), and provider
independence practices.  

This super linear growth may present a scalability problem for current and
/ or future routers with regard to route processing a larger and possibly
more unstable table, storing of the ever growing routing table (RIB),
populating the ever growing forwarding table (FIB), performing forwarding
lookups at line rate on the forwarding table (FIB), and boot time
convergence.

Scaling each of these structures may cause an unsustainable increase in
power consumption, heat, size, and the cost of routing kits, and / or a
decrease in the amount of useable lifespan (decreasing the depreciation
models) thus reducing the return on investment and / or requiring
continuous rolling upgrades.

What is not included is discussion about:
- Over-loading address semantics to include location and identity 
- other factors impacting routing table such as VPN and convergence

__Jason

==========================================================================
Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       [email-masked]
UUNET / Verizon                         [email-masked]

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.

_______________________________________________
RADIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir