Subject: [RADIR] Fwd: [eof-coord] IPv6 IETF report...?

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:44:16 +0200

Hallo,

I am on a mailinglist that coordinates the EOF (European Operators  
Forum) presentations during the RIPE meetings. The message below past  
by.

There seems to be interest in an update on the state of affairs with  
respect to what is going on at the IETF during the RIPE meeting in  
Tallinn (May 7-11).

I think that it is good to give an update in the EOF meeting. On the  
other hand there is not yet a coherent story about the future.    
Besides, I (strongly) doubt that this should be an IAB report or even  
perceived as being one.  However, maybe there are folk among us that  
are willing to speak on personal title. I have CC-ed the RA-dir,  
there may be folk there who are in Tallin and want to take this token.

Volunteers, thoughts?

--Olaf

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
> Date: 2April 2007 10:49:25 PM GMT+02:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [eof-coord] IPv6 IETF report...?
>
> Hi,
>
> I wonder whether we can volunteer someone to give a short update on
> what's happening inside IETF regarding IPv6 - like the whole RAM
> discussion, and a re-opening of the ID/Loc-Discussion.
>
> While I did follow (some of) the discussions, I am not qualified to
> give a meaningful overview...
>
> Gert Doering
>         -- NetMaster
> -- 
> Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  98999
>
> SpaceNet AG                        Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
> Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14          Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner- 
> Culemann
> D-80807 Muenchen                   HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
> Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279

-----------------------------------------------------------
Olaf M. Kolkman
NLnet Labs
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/

_______________________________________________
RADIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:42:10 -0400

I have for the last couple of years done an "IETF update" of sorts at
the ARIN meetings. Although I am _NOT_ on official liaison, I've sort
of acquired that label as I started going to ARIN meetings originally
as part of the effort that led to RFC 3177 "IAB/IESG Recommendations
on IPv6 Address Allocations to Sites" back in 2001. (For those that
don't know the history, there was a time when a number of IETF/IPv6
people seemed to think the IETF should retain control/authority over
address allocation, the IPv4 reality notwithstanding, and we had quite
a tussle over things before the responsibility for allocation went to
the RIRs).

Anyway, I mention this because I'm on the hook for doing a short
update at the upcoming ARIN meeting, and what they most certainly want
to hear about the most is what is happening on the
RAM/ID/LOC/etc. topic.

I raise this also because I think that having more outreach to the
RIRs (and other orgs) is something the IETF should perhaps be doing
more of than it is currently. E.g., while I've given updates at ARIN,
AFAIK, this is not done at RIPE, APNIC, etc. It might be useful to
talk about how to do this in a more organized fashion and to get
better coverage in other fora.

Thomas

---

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:01:07 +0200

> better coverage in other fora.

Traditionally the RIPE meetings seemed to be reasonably covered by  
reports from the IETF in the several RIPE working group. For  
instance, Peter Koch, Lars Johan Limann and myself have traditionally  
given IETF reports during the RIPE DNS wg meetings and there are  
others that do reports on other work in other working groups. I am  
not sure about the APNIC, Afrinic and Lacnic meetings...

The meta-matter; how can we ascertain that subject matter expert IETF- 
ers present what happens in the IETF at these venues in a more  
organized matter is something that needs cycles; Agenda item for the  
retreat?

As for the IPv6 report (with all the ID/LOC/RA stuff surounding it)  
is there somebody here that will be in Tallinn and that would like to  
take that token.

--Olaf

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:42:09 -0400

> organized matter is something that needs cycles; Agenda item for the  

Perhaps something as simple as creation of a mailing list for folks
that give such reports, with an attempt to circulate (for review) the
slides in advance. Indeed, if people did this, we might find that the
same set of slides more or less get used in multiple places.

People generally are willing to borrow slides if it means less
work. :-)

Thomas

---

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:50:59 +0200

> to hear about the most is what is happening on the

Unless there are other folks that volunteer, I'm on the hook for the  
EOF session at RIPE. Thomas, I'd be more than happy to make use of  
your slides :-).

(I will be speaking as a RIPE attendee that happens to have been at  
the IETF).

--Olaf