Subject: (radius) Input and Output Octets

From: "Russell J. LeBar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:57:54 -0500

This may seem like a really dumb question, but what's an Octet (as in Input
and Output Octets)? Is it 256 bytes?

About how big is a packet usually?

Thanks!

-- Russell J. LeBar

---

From: Dave Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 15:28:27 -0400

An octet is 8 bits. (oct = 8)

In some architectures, in an earlier world, a byte was not necessarily 8 bits.
Nor are "words" fixed at a standard size either.

	Dave.

At 01:57 PM 9/3/98 -0500, Russell J. LeBar wrote:
>Attachment Converted: "L:\Eudora\attachments\Russell J. LeBar41.vcf"
>
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton					978-670-8888 Main
Consulting Engineer, Nortel		978-916-4570 Direct
Carrier Packet Networks, I&SP Group	978-916-4789 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821				[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Glen Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 13:25:37 -0700

Octet - From the Latin 'Oct' meaning 8.  Octet is 8 bits, in 
        the common venacular, 1 byte.

Cheers .... Glenc

At 01:57 PM 9/3/98 -0500, Russell J. LeBar wrote:
>Attachment Converted: "C:\Data\Email\Attach\Russell J. LeBar.vcf"
>
-