Subject: Re: (radius) Off-topic: Does anyone else recieve junk e-mail via the Radius mailing list?

From: "Peter Jakobs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:47:49 +0100

It would already help if livingston would either secure their server or if we would allow posting only for subscribed listeners. Possibly both.

>>> "Varghese, Joe" <[email-masked]> 01/28/99 03:56pm >>>

Just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem I am - I'm
receiving a *lot* of junk e-mail (the latest one advertising an adult
oriented content), and it looks like the solicitors got my address via the
ietf-radius newsgroup (on the bottom of each one there's an "To unsubscribe,
email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message" message).

Is anyone else having this problem? Can someone who's on charge of this
mailing list make sure that this kind of junk e-mail doesnt get passed via
the list?

I've attached a few of the messages just in case it's needed ....

Thanks.

joe varghese

--------------------------------
George (Joe) Varghese
[email-masked] 
(630) 713-9522

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:50:02 -0800 (PST)

Livingston does block non-subscribers from posting to our portmaster-*
mailing lists, and could easily do so for the IETF mailing lists we run
as a courtesy to various working groups.  That would mean that people
who aren't on the working group mailing list wouldn't be able to send a
message to the working group without subscribing first, which would cut
down on the ability for various other IETFers to send a quick question
to the list.  We've been reluctant to take that step, but if consensus in
the working group is they're willing to make it harder for outsiders to
provide input in return for less spam, we could turn on that filter.

Rather than cluttering the list with this kind of meta-discussion, please
email ME directly with your thoughts and I'll see if there's consensus one
way or the other.

Please don't discuss this any further on the list, though - we've now had as
many articles on this issue as we had spam to trigger it.

--
Carl Rigney
IETF RADIUS WG List Administrator
[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.