Subject: Re: (radius) Zero-length strings

From: Aydin Edguer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:42:54 -0500 (EST)

> Is there any implementation that actually USES an AVP Length of two that
> is receives for something and doesn't just ignore it?

Yes.  There is such an implementation.

My apologies to those who have seen this previously:

  For instance, one vendor will include a State attribute with an empty
  string value in an Access-Request as a "hint" to the RADIUS server that
  the NAS supported the Access-Challenge RADIUS packet types.

The sample RADIUS server provided by the vendor will _not_ send an
Access-Challenge is it does _not_ see the State attribute in the
Access-Request.  [Note: other, newer, RADIUS servers from the vendor
do not have this requirement]

This made sense when it was done 4 years ago (long before RFC 2058 was
completed), but it does not make sense now, except for backwards
compatibility with the old sample server [that is, unfortunately,
still in use at some sites].
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Heath Partington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:57:29 -0500

>     -----Original Message-----
>     From: [email-masked]
>     [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Aydin Edguer
>     Sent: Thursday, February 25, 1999 4:43 PM
>     To: [email-masked]
>     Subject: Re: (radius) Zero-length strings
>
>

Why?  Was there a different description for the State attribute at that
time?

-