Subject: (radius) radius retransmission id's

From: "Heath Partington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:59:52 -0500

According to RFC2138:

	Identifier

	The Identifier field MUST be changed whenever the content of the Attributes
field 	changes, and whenever a valid reply has been received for a previous
request.  	For retransmissions, the Identifier MUST remain unchanged.

I am writing a RADIUS client where the number of valid id's(255) may not be
enough at any given time - so I was forced to store more than one set of
id's for a single cpu instance.  I decided to store a set of id's per each
server configured.  As most RADIUS clients do - when a server is unreachable
I begin sending retransmissions to a secondary server.  Unfortunately since
the second server has a completely different set of id's I may not be able
to use the same identifier that I was using to transmit to the initial
server (because the 2nd server is already using it to perform another
action).

I assume that the goal of keeping the identifier the same for all
retransmissions was to enable the server(s) to detect duplicate packets.

So my question - is there a drawback to rewording the specification to say
something like: "For retransmissions to the same server, the Identifier MUST
remain unchanged"?

Trying to remain standard compatible,
	Heath

_____________________
Heath Partington
Spring Tide Networks
(978) 635 - 3739 x121

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:13:25 -0800

> something like: "For retransmissions to the same server, the Identifier MUST

As I remember this discussion a while back, a retransmisions means 
sending a packet to the same server again.  Failing over to a secondary
server is not considered a retransmission (and if the secret is
diffrent,
you have to re-create the attributes anyways).

-- 

Dale E. Reed Jr.      Emerald and RadiusNT
__________________________________________
IEA Software, Inc.    www.iea-software.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.