Subject: RE: (radius) RFC2139: User-Name should be MUST

From: Jonathan Garini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:04:13 +0200

> I disagree.  In fact, the cisco accounting code permits accounting to
> be done without authentication (ie there is never a username.)
> 

BTW, Cisco is an example of a vendor who always send the User-Name in
accounting even for account starts of dedicated lines, where it uses an
empty string for the Value.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:14:34 -0800

> empty string for the Value.

An AVP Pair length of 2 is non-RFC compliant (a blank data field).  
Many NASes send them (Ascend, USR, Cisco, ...) but that doesn't mean 
the RFC should be again updated to police this.  Its up to us to
not only follow the RFC, but use atleast SOME common sense when
working with RADIUS so that we can get our products to work together.

If you have a customer that bought RADIUS client x and it doesn't 
include a username and that makes your product not work, your 
customer has two choices (assuming that talking to your and the
vendor doesn't work): 

1) buy a new RADIUS client
2) buy a new RADIUS server

It really isn't any more complicated than that. :)

-- 
Dale E. Reed Jr.  ([email-masked])
_________________________________________________________________
       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs
 Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.