Subject: Re: (radius) Zero-length strings

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:17:53 -0500 (EST)

certainly, in an information theoretic sense, all 3 of
	Attr = "value"
	Attr = ""
	<not present>
are different, and (may) convey different information, and ergo
should certainly be permitted so as to convey the appropriate
information.

but, for the *standard* attrs, I don't see
	Attr = ""
	<not present>
as conveying anything different, *if <not present> is
permitted*.

so, I'd be happy to not permit AVPs of len=2 for standard
attrs, if we permit the attr to not be present, but would
not want to restrict non-standard attrs in any such manner.

	--jeff

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Dave Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:43:11 -0500

Wow,
	take a day at home due to a snow storm, and it storms in the RADIUS WG!
Quickly... as I have other things to finish today....

I'm in favor of ZLS.  'cuz:

- closes a symmetry hole in parsing
- which should be dealt with anyways (liberal in acceptance) 
- allows the semantic argued below  (useful in overriding defaults and
short strings)
	Basically I would follow Steven and Jeff's line.

While not in favor of sending attrs that don't mean anything, I do think
there are times where it does mean something useful.   There are also other
value cases that should be dealt with for specific datatypes (e.g. ipaddrs
of 0.0.0.0) in a datatype/specific attr dependent manner.

	Dave.

>'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton			  		ESN: 248-4570
Consulting Engineer, Nortel Networks	978-916-4570 Direct
Carrier Packet Solutions, I&SP Netwks	978-916-4789 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821				[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.