Subject: RE: (radius) NAS-Port-Id and Framed-IP-Pool (fwd)

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 07:46:33 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time Mun, Mike shaped the electrons to say...
>From AS server's point of view, I think Framed-IP-Pool should be an integer
>value: 
>0	NAS pool available
>1	NAS pool only
>If this attribute is not present, then NAS pool is not available.

This is not what is meant.  There are NASen with *multiple, named pools*.
The Ascend Max does this now, the PortMaster-4 will have this in ComOS 4.1,
and I believe there are others as well - Assured Access and ACC I believe.

The idea is being able to assign multiple IP pools and then stick a user
into the appropriate pool.  How the pool is established is outside of RADIUS,
just as it is today (Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254).  It could well
be something like Framed-IP-Pool-ID = "dhcp" and the NAS is ocnfigured so
that when it is told to use that pool it calls the DHCP server.  And
Framed-IP-Pool-ID = "outsource1", whatever.

I, for one, would like to see this standardized.  It would be nice to 
correlate all of the VSAs and see how many are redundant - if say 3 vendors
all have VSAs for the same thing, it may make sense to make a standard AVP
for that.

-MZ
-- 
-=*X GOT CLUE? ISPF II - SAN DIEGO, CA 3/6-10 <URL:http://www.ispf.com/> X*=-
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
Join ISP/C Internet Service Providers' Consortium <URL:http://www.ispc.org/>
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 781-788-0130
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.gweep.net/>  Hail Discordia!
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.