Subject: (radius) RFC2139: User-Name should be MUST

From: Jonathan Garini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:01:37 +0200

RFC 2139 does not specify the User-Name attribute as a must but rather as a
MAY.
Most of the NASs does send the User-Name in accounting packets. However, we
have seen one NAS that don't send this attribute. This NAS indeed comply
with RFC 2139, but it does not comply with real life operations.
 
I think the RFC should be amended to include the User-ID attribute as MUST.
 
Regards,
Jonathan.
 
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Thomas Kinnen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:27:10 -0800

> I think the RFC should be amended to include the User-ID attribute as MUST.

I would disagree as hard wired network lines (PTP T1, FR, Sync lines,
etc) may not be using authentication but still generate accounting data.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
"All of the opinions stated above are my own and not my employer's,
unless they were given to me by my employer"
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:19:47 -0800

> I think the RFC should be amended to include the User-ID attribute as MUST.

There are situations where this is allowed in "real life".  For example:

1) Accounting-on and Accounting-Off packets don't have users associated
   with them.

2) Most NASes send a reboot accounting packet (like Livingston) to
signal
   that it rebooted and all sessions for it should be cleared/closed.

3) Reporting a session-start before authentication (like on
modem-answer).

4) Reporting a disconnect problem on modem answer (like the user never
did
   connect, therefore obviously couldn't authenticate).  This is a good
one
   for reporting to see what problems you are having.

I would recommend a strong SHOULD, but MUST isn't reasonable unless
situations
like the above are specifically allowed.

-- 
Dale E. Reed Jr.  ([email-masked])
_________________________________________________________________
       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs
 Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.