Subject: Re: (radius) accounting for failed calls

From: Dave Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:12:29 -0500

At 05:02 PM 2/23/99 -0800, Glen Zorn wrote:
>I'm trying to figure out how to do this in an interoperable way.  Somebody
>suggested that I send an Accounting-Request with a status type of stop, no
>user name and a session time of 0, along with a VSA representing the
>reason for failure.  The question is, how many RADIUS accounting servers
>would this break? 
>
>
>-

If this is a failed user-based session (Service-Type mismatch, or IPCP
failure, etc), then I'd suggest that you send the Username that you
authenticated with.

If this is a call that never got to authentication, then this is appropriate.
But you might be tempted to dust off Acct-Status-Type = 5 for this.

The Nortel/Bay Versalar 5399/8000 when a parameter radius_acct_level is set
to advanced generates Acct-Requests with Acct-Status-Types of 4 and 5 for
Call-Start, Call-Stop, and 
VSEs of
VALUE   Acct-Status-Type    Annex-User-Reject          0x06300001
purge-acct-rec
VALUE   Acct-Status-Type    Annex-Call-Reject          0x06300002
for failures in call setup or session setup.

Our RADIUS server would have no problem with any of this, as the lack of
name would not cause it to choke.  And it uses the NAS-IP-Address,
Port-Type, Port-Number matching rules to clear any managed state.

	Dave.
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton			  		ESN: 248-4570
Consulting Engineer, Nortel Networks	978-916-4570 Direct
Carrier Packet Solutions, I&SP Netwks	978-916-4789 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821				[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: William Bulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:26:02 -0500 (EST)

> But you might be tempted to dust off Acct-Status-Type = 5 for this.

This is what we call "Modem-Stop" (see our dictionary, any version
from 1995 on)

Carl allowed us to use these (he reserved the 4 and 5 values of
Modem-Start and Modem-Stop respectively) several years ago...

Regards,

web...

-- 
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: [email-masked]
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite C        Phone: (734) 764-9993
Ann Arbor, Michigan  48105-2785    Fax:   (734) 647-3185

The big difference between space and time is you can't reuse time...
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.