Subject: Re: (radius) Zero Length Summary

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:35:01 -0500 (EST)

| Heres my opinion on this.  For something that has the ability to
| have a null value (like System prompt), there needs to be another 
| attribute like "Show-System-Prompt" that would say whether to show
| the system prompt or not.  If there is a case where the attribute
| of zero length has a meaning, its best to have a way to specifically
| list an on/off state without having to interpret a zero length
| attribute as off.

so if I understand what you just said,
	(a) you do see a real and valid use for zero length values
	(b) instead of using a zero length value, you advocate
	    using 2 attributes to convey the information

I need to ask then, if there is clearly a valid use for such a thing,
what is so abhorent that should be avoided at such costs?

	--jeff

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:33:14 -0800

> what is so abhorent that should be avoided at such costs?

By using two attributes you remove the ambiguity of a the definition.
In this case, send Show-System-Prompt=No rather than Sysetem-Prompt
with a AVP length of zero is still only sending one attribute, not
two.  This was just an example of clearly defining a behavior rather
than trying to interpret a possible confusing situation.

-- 

Dale E. Reed Jr.      Emerald and RadiusNT
__________________________________________
IEA Software, Inc.    www.iea-software.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.