Subject: RE: (radius) NAS-Port-Id and Framed-IP-Pool

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:04:50 -0500

Dave Mitton writes...
 
> A number of NAS client implementations have IP Address pool allocation
> schemes.
> This attribute would be a selector for such a pool.
> The description of the actual pool contents would be left to other
> configuration mechanisms.

Ah, I understand.  So Framed-IP-Pool is analogous to Filter-ID, a name
for a local data structure.  The contents of the data structure are
created, communicated or configured by some mechanism outside the scope
of RADIUS.  Cool.  I see that this attribute might be of utility.

Of course, I've always been left a little unsatisfied by the "some 
mechanism outside the scope of RADIUS" business.  It doesn't do much to
promote interoperability.  However, since we have already cast the die
in terms of the Filter-ID usage, I guess Framed-IP-Pool would be OK on
that basis.

Regards,

Dave  

David B. Nelson                          Cabletron Systems, Inc.
Software Engineer V                      50 Minuteman Road
(978) 684-1330                           Andover, MA 01810

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:23:54 -0800

> in terms of the Filter-ID usage, I guess Framed-IP-Pool would be OK on

Ascend has a good example of this in their pool definition.  You could
define two pools, one routable and one non-routable (like 192.168.x.x)
and then based on whether you want to force the user through a proxy
or not, you assign them to the respective pool.  It sure beats 
defining all those filters. :)

-- 

Dale E. Reed Jr.      Emerald and RadiusNT
__________________________________________
IEA Software, Inc.    www.iea-software.com
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Steven P. Crain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:39:37 -0500 (EST)

> in terms of the Filter-ID usage, I guess Framed-IP-Pool would be OK on

Maybe we should call it Framed-IP-Pool-ID for consistency.

-- 
Steven P. Crain, Development
http://www.shore.net/~scrain
Shore.Net: Local Ties... World Class Connections

-