Subject: Re: (radius) Matching NAS-IP-Address to actual real-life NAS IP address

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:27:25 -0800 (PST)

> As for NAS-Identifier, I haven't seen many implementations actually
> use it.  Would it be desirable to have the RFC suggest a method for
> generating a *unique* per-NAS identifier?  (I won't do so here.)

NAS configuration is outside the scope of the RADIUS working group's
charter.  (Sorry, it just wouldn't feel like a real WG discussion if I
didn't get to say that at least once. :-) )

Probably the admin just sets some string which is then returned in the
NAS-Identifier.  Tastes will vary; simplest would be to use hostname,
or shelf number, or serial number of the box, but it could also be a
geographical indicator, or whatever.  As far as the protocol is
concerned its just a string that it passes along if it has it.  Its useful
to log, but doesn't affect the operation of the protocol.

--
Carl
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:50:11 -0500 (EST)

| Why bother to provide both?  Either identifies the NAS, so what's the
| good of carrying redundant information in the request?

well, since I send both, I guess I'll say what/why.

when I proxy a request off, I figure that the NAS address and FQDN
are fairly meaningless to the remote ISP, so I set the NAS-ID
to something along the lines of "OpNet Philadelphia NAS #4", as a
convenience aid.

	--jeff

-