Subject: (radius) Acct-Interim-Interval value

From: "Dmitry Goncharenko(at Crimea)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:51:50 -0800

Hi,

Can anybody confirm that my understanding of the following is correct:

      The Value field contains the number of seconds between each
      interim update to be sent from the NAS for this session. The value
      MUST NOT be smaller than 60 and SHOULD NOT be less than 600.

So I understood it that the value MUST always be >= 60 but it's better to be
at least 600. Or may be there is a mistake in the text and it should say
"SHOULD be less than 600"

Thank you,
Dmitry.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrice Calhoun)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:22:19 -0800

>"SHOULD be less than 600"
Yes that can be confusing.

What this means is that in no case can the value ever be smaller then 60
seconds. However, it is strongly recommended that the value be greater than
600 seconds. If you want to set it smaller than 600 seconds, you certainly
can (we just provide the Gun, you can shoot yourself in the foot if you like).

The reason why we set the SHOULD was to try to minimize the problem where the
Interim Update traffic started to flood the network.

PatC

-