Subject: Re: (radius) Extending the values of NAS-Port-Type

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:29:54 -0700 (PDT)

Those make sense.  Are there any specific forms of cable or wireless
that should be added as well as the generic versions?

--
Carl
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Mark S Petrovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 11:27:10 -0700

> that should be added as well as the generic versions?

I cannot think of specific refinements for either one at this time.  As
technologies evolve, and our ability to discern when one of them
obtains, perhaps they could be added.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Justin McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:19:45 -0400

Our company provides hardware and software for wireless LANs, MANs, and
WANs, and we provide much of the access point software to Lucent for their
WaveLAN product. We work closely with Lucent WCND (WaveLAN) in the
Netherlands. 

KarlNet is testing Radius authentication and accounting support in our
software, for authentication of the wireless devices themselves and/or with
a username/password to gain access to the wireless network. The
authentication mechanisms in the IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN standard don't
support anything like this. 

We (KarlNet, not necessarily Lucent) would like to see the NAS-Port-Type
attribute for wireless be broken into two subcategories:

	Wireless-- IEEE 802.11
	Wireless-- Other

If the phrasing needs changed, feel free to do so. The IEEE 802.11 standard
is for wireless LAN's, and is used for laptops, handhelds, desktops, etc.
The Apple Airport product uses this standard, in case you pay any attention
to that. However, there are also other wireless network devices becoming
readily available that use different schemes (such as the Palm Pilot VII or
cellular phones). Wireless WAN vendors also are producing non-802.11 radios
for high-speed connections for building-to-building and access
point-to-access point connections. While these might have their own
proprietary authentication schemes, we think it would be a good idea for
Radius to support at least the wireless LAN standard as one type and all
the rest as 'other'. There will certainly be situations in the future where
you would want to allow someone wireless cellphone access but not 802.11
access, or vice-versa.

There's my penny and a half.

   Justin McCann
   KarlNet, Inc.

-