Subject: Re: (radius) Extending the values of NAS-Port-Type

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:55:55 -0700 (PDT)

OK, anyone have any objections or suggestions for these assignments under
NAS-Port-Type?

16      xDSL - Digital Subscriber Line of unknown type
17      Cable
18      Wireless - Other
19      Wireless - IEEE 802.11

--
Carl
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Barry James <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:39:09 +0000 (GMT)

Does it make any sense to have an attribute that will allow the
specification of authentication types before modem negotiation via the
call check mechanism?  That is to say, one good use of the call check
mechanism is to have the NAS send the Access-Request with Service-Type =
Call Check and User-Name = <DNIS> and to have the RADIUS server send back
and Auth-Type specifying what type of authentication mechanism should be
used for this call.

Most NAS gear support a default authentication type.  For those users of
RADIUS that resell ports to ISPs or other customers and need to support
multiple customers dialing into a bank of NAS's it keeps us from having to
dedicate NAS gear to specific customers (ie one customer uses PAP and
another uses CHAP, etc).  I think it would be very useful (we do it here
now) to be able to send back in the Access-Accept something like Auth-Type
= Auth-CHAP so that the NAS will initiate a CHAP negotiation with the
customer, while sending back an Auth-PAP will cause the NAS to initiate a
PAP negotiation.

This model works well for port-resellers and others. A possible definition
might include:
Auth-None
Auth-Any
Auth-Default
Auth-PAP
Auth-CHAP
Auth-MS-CHAP

Thoughts?

Regards,
Barry

Barry L James            | Never doubt that a small group of
IP SWAT                  | thoughtful, committed citizens can
Level 3 Communications   | change the world.  Indeed, it's 
http://www.level3.com    | the only thing that ever has.
Member IEEE, AAAI        | #include <std_disclaimer>

-

---

From: "Mark Anthony Beadles" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:23:27 -0400

This is in many ways similar to my proposal for "AAA referral".  The main
difference is that I did not propose a separate Service-Type.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beadles-aaa-referral-00.txt.

+        Mark Anthony Beadles         +
+    [email-masked]     +
+ Vox 614.565.1308 Pager 888.660.8427 +

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Barry James
Sent: Tuesday, 26 October 1999 17:39
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (radius) Service-Type = Call Check, Auth-Type = Auth-CHAP

Thoughts?

Regards,
Barry

-

-