Subject: [RAI] ATIS and SIP Forum Network to Network Interface work in progress documents

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:12:56 -0400

As some of you know the SIP Forum and ATIS have been cooperating for the
past year on a series of profile documents for SIP to facilitate all IP
interconnection among service providers.

The Task Force has agreed to make a snapshot of the documents available to
the larger carrier and SIP community to invite informed technical comments.
These are still a ³work in progress² .

For those of you in the United States this work has taken on a larger
significance since it has the attention of the United States Federal
Communications Commission as was called out in a recent speech by Commission
Chairman Tom Wheeler.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-329767A1.pdf

 ******

The IP-Network to Network Interface (NNI) Joint Task Force
<http://www.atis.org/PRESS/pressreleases2014/010814.asp> , a cooperative
effort between the ATIS and the SIP Forum, is seeking public comment on two
draft documents:

1.      IP Interconnection Profile.  The IP-NNI Profile Specification
defines a reference architectureand specifications for both the protocol and
media as it appears ³on-the-wire² at interconnect points.  The
specifications reference commonly used IETF, 3GPP, and other related
industry specifications and identify protocol extensions and capability
information needed for all-IP telephony peering.

2.      IP Interconnection Routing Report.  The IP-NNI Routing Technical
Report documents mechanisms for identifying the preferred IP interconnection
point for a given TN. This report presents multiple views of current IP
interconnection mechanisms based on aggregate PSTN constructs, interim
solutions based on all-IP routing using a per-TN registry, and a
consideration of hybrid approaches across both mechanisms during the
transition to all-IP.

Members of the IETF SIP Community may access the document directly here.

http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,153/It
emid,261/

Members of ATIS may also Access the documents at:
http://access.atis.org/apps/org/workgroup/ipnni/download.php/18837/latest(fo
r ATIS members) or
http://access.atis.org/apps/group_public/document.php?document_id=18837&wg_a
bbrev=ipnni (public access).

Providing Feedback:  Written input, technical feedback only, is requested by
October 29, 2014. However, in light of the short timeframe, input will be
accepted until December 1, 2014.  Submit comments to the Task Force via its
mailing list. To do this, individuals must first be registered as a SIP
Forum Participant Member (Free)

here:http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_advanced_registration/task
,register/. 

 When completed, subscription to the NNI Task Force mailing list can be
performed at: http://sipforum.org/mailman/listinfo/nni.

For further information on the IP Network to Network Interface (NNI) Joint
Task Force and these above-referenced documents, please contact me or Jim
McEachern, Senior Technical Consultant, ATIS [email-masked] or me at
the contact information listed below.

‹ 
Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
Chairman of the Board SIP Forum
www.shockey.us
Www.sipforum.org
richard<at>shockey.us
Skype-Linkedin-Facebook rshockey101
PSTN +1 703-593-2683