Subject: [RAM] Re: The mapping problem: rendezvous points ?

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:42:50 -0400

Originally, Noel said:
> Err, minor terminological nit: one my definitions of "locator" is
> 'names used by the path-selection system'. So if you have a system
> which is doing "rout[ing]" (i.e. doing next-hop selection along the
> path), then the things it is using as the name of the destination are,
> *by definition*, locators... even if you call them EIDs!

Later on, Dino said:
% I agree with your definition, but in LISP 1 and 1.5, when you copy the
% inner DA to the outer DA, we call the inner DA an EID because it is
% assigned to a host. And we use that EID as a locator in the IGP.
% When it is copied to the outer DA for map resolution, I guess it
% is also a locator outside of the site.

The Internet community has a well understood name for objects that
are used sometimes as identifiers and sometimes for routing/forwarding.
Normally, these objects with mixed semantics are called "addresses",
not "EIDs" and not "Locators".

I really think that people would have an easier time understanding
the various proposals (not just LISP) if we really would move
to crisper terminology usage.

Cheers,

Ran

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram