Subject: RE: COPS-PR

From: "Hahn, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:32:18 -0800

This is correct, COPS-PR does not have a client type. Instead the client
types are defined to represent non overlapping areas of policy (e.g. QoS)
and each PIB specifies which area that PIB applies to in it's SUBJECT
CATEGORY. Since a PEP can only have one PDP for a given client type, this
allows the PEP to support multiple managers that manage different areas. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Iliff, Tina [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 8:23 AM
To: 'Vito Pinto'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: COPS-PR

Vito, 
Please reference the diffserv-pib-03 draft, specifically Section 9. 
Subect Category Considerations 
The numbering space used for the DiffServ PIB, as indicated by the 
SUBJECT-CATEGORIES clause, will be assigned by the Internet Assigned 
Numbers Authority (IANA).  Notice the numbering space used by SUBJECT- 
CATEGORIES maps to the Client Type numbering space in [COPS-PR].  This 
relationship is detailed in section 7.1 of [SPPI].  Due to the fact that 
Client Type value of 1 has already been used by [COPS-RSVP], the 
numbering space for SUBJECT-CATEGORIES will need to start with the value 
of 2. 
COPS-PR can support multiple COPS Client-Type values.  The Client-Type
specified for QoS is 2. 
Regards, 
Tina Iliff 

-----Original Message----- 
From:   Vito Pinto [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:   Thursday, March 29, 2001 9:51 AM 
To:     [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject:        Re: COPS-PR 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rajiv Dighe" <[email-masked]> 
To: "vijains" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 3:14 PM 
Subject: Re: COPS-PR 

> Q1 is easy to answer. COPS-PR uses 02 as client-type. there is only one 
> client type for cops-pr that I know of. 
I have a doubt about this: reading the entire COPS-PR RFC and especially 
the "IANA Consideration" section we find that: 

9. IANA Considerations 
   COPS for Policy Provisioning follows the same IANA considerations for 
   COPS objects as the base COPS protocol [COPS].  COPS-PR has defined 
   one additional Decision Flag value of 0x02, extending the COPS base 
   protocol only by this one value.  No new COPS Client- Types are 
   defined by this document. 
The last sentence explicitly says that no new Client-type are defined, so: 
Q1: what document specifies the client-type value of 2 ? 
Q2: if not specified, what Client-type COPS-PR clients have to use? 
Regards 
Vito Pinto