Subject: RE: draft-jacquenet-ip-te-cops-01.txt

From: NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:32:46 +0100

Diana, 

IMHO handles are effectively designed to refer to Request-States. One handle
identifies one and only one given Request-State for a given Client-Type, and
then the policy (PIB instance) defined within the context of this
Request-State.
See COPS-PR5  §3.1

"The Client Handle associated with the REQ message 
   originated by a provisioning client MUST be unique for that 
   client. The Client Handle is used to identify a specific request 
   state."

Moreover, I disagree when you say 
"In the provisioning model the request state is associated with an interface
or aspect of the PEP device." , you should rather say "interface type" (as
suggested by Tina), this "type" being defined by the role combination
associated to the interfaces. But still I don't think a Request-State is
associated to only one interface type. (Please see below for further
explanations).

Tina,

Quote from Framework PIB draft version 4 § 3.1

"Provisioning classes have an attribute called a 
   RoleCombination which is a lexicographically ordered set of roles.  
   Instances of a given provisioning class are applied to an interface 
   if and only if the set of roles in the role combination matches the 
   set of the roles of the interface."

And later on :

"Furthermore, if the same policy is being applied to 
   several interfaces, that policy need be pushed to the device only 
   once, rather than once per interface, as long as the interfaces are 
   configured with the same role combination."

Therefore instead of telling "Interface Type/Role Combination will be
configured per Request-State", I'd rather say "per Provisioning class"...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Finally, does anyone knows any answer to this :

In the Framework PIB document, in the given example about roles (§3.1.1), it
is assumed that roles can be changed by the system administrator. I
understand this is done directly on the device embedding the PEP. What are
the other means to change the
roles ? Can it be done remotely ? Using COPS ? (this implies that changes
can be applied on a per-interface basis leading each interface to have a
specific role combination equivalent to the SNMP ifIndex). 

Thanks.

Yoann

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Rawlins, Diana [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : vendredi 9 mars 2001 16:45
À : 'Yacine El Mghazli'; Iliff, Tina
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : RE: draft-jacquenet-ip-te-cops-01.txt

Yacine,

My understanding is that handles are associated with a request /policy
state. 

-Diana

-----Original Message-----
From: Yacine El Mghazli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:04 AM
To: Rawlins, Diana; Iliff, Tina
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-jacquenet-ip-te-cops-01.txt

Diana, Tina,

Where in the PR-05 draft is it explained that handles are linked to
interfaces/roles ?
Be sure I trust you but I'd like to read the spec in order to understand
properly COPS-PR.
If so, what about the start attribute in the Diffserv DataPath Element (QoS
area for example)? What is its function ?

Yacine

---

From: Rajiv Dighe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:53:39 -0800 (PST)

> specific role combination equivalent to the SNMP ifIndex). 
Yoann,

   AFAIK in theory COPS *does not* provide any way to do this. In Reality,
this will be purely implementation dependant. device manufacturer may
choose to expose that functionality purely via hardwired console, thru
telnet or even web or corba interface. 

Regards,

--Rajiv