Subject: RE: draft-jacquenet-ip-te-cops-01.txt

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:09:31 +0000

Yacine,

The PR-05 draft does not explicitly state the relationship between Request
State Handle and Role Combination or Interface; however, it implicitly does
with the following excerpts:
3.1. Request (REQ)  PEP -> PDP 
Different 
   request states are used to isolate similarly named configuration 
   information into non-overlapping contexts (or logically isolated 
   namespaces).
and
6. Common Operation 
Each request state represents an 
   independent and logically non-overlapping namespace, identified by 
   the Client Handle, on which transactions (a.k.a. configuration 
                 [Page 27] 
installations, deletions, updates) may be performed. Other 
   existing Request States will be unaffected by the new request 
   state as they are independent (thus, no instances of configuration 
   data within one Request State can be affected by DECs for another 
   Request State as identified by the Client Handle).

The Diffserv-PIB-03 draft does not explicitly state the relationship between
Handle and Role Combination either.

Authors:  Are we correct in inferring from the above PR-05 draft excerpts
that only one Interface Type/Role Combination will be configured per
Request-State?

The function of the Start attribute in the qosDataPath table in the
diffserv-pib-03 draft is to indicate per Interface Type/Role
Combination/Direction where DiffServ processing should begin for packets
traversing the interface (i.e. what datapath functional element will first
process the packet).

Tina Iliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Yacine El Mghazli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:04 AM
To: Rawlins, Diana; Iliff, Tina
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-jacquenet-ip-te-cops-01.txt

Diana, Tina,

Where in the PR-05 draft is it explained that handles are linked to
interfaces/roles ?
Be sure I trust you but I'd like to read the spec in order to understand
properly COPS-PR.
If so, what about the start attribute in the Diffserv DataPath Element (QoS
area for example)? What is its function ?

Yacine

---

From: Rajiv Dighe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:28:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Iliff, Tina wrote:
<snip>
> that only one Interface Type/Role Combination will be configured per
Tina,

   It has been my understanding that each Client handle referes to a
single request state. so if the request included 5 Interface Type/Role
Combinations, then all of them will be configured using same client
handle. PEP can send only one request ordinarily( emphasis here is on
"ordinarily". naturally if client deletes previous request state for some
reason or if it has to send new request because of configuration change,
then it will do so ). Given that, it is fair to assume that PEP will
inform PDP about all the Interface Types/Role Combinations in single
request message using same client handle. Multiple request states can be
opened only if PDP instructs PEP to do so using apropriate flag in DEC
message.
  Offcourse, I tend to forget / misunderstand RFCs & drafts with rather
alarming regularity. so more knowledgable folks on the list will no doubt
correct me whereever I have missed point of this whole conversation ;)

Regards,

--Rajiv