Subject: RAP Working Group Re-chartering

From: "Mark L. Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:19:37 -0500

One of the items that we will discuss in the upcoming
RAP working group meeting is the new charter.

Below is a draft of the new charter.

Please come to the RAP working group prepared to discuss
this new charter.

Discussion on this mailing list is also encouraged.

A full agenda for the meeting will be available shortly.

-Mark Stevens

Description of Working Group:

Recent works in the IETF have led to the development and
standardization of enhanced network services such as QoS and traffic
engineering. The complexity of these services and the variations in
the capabilities of the devices implementing these services provide a
challenge to anyone trying to configure services within medium- and
large-scale networks.

The working group will define general-purpose objects that facilitate
the manipulation of policies and provisioned objects available through
COPS and COPS-PR.  Where appropriate, these will include frameworks
clarifying the applicability of COPS objects and the best practices
for the definition of additional objects defined in other working
groups.

In particular, the group will address the following work items:

- A framework for defining the usage of COPS for carrying accounting
  information: The working group will produce a standards track
  document defining the usage of COPS for carrying accounting
  information between a PDP and PEPs [ACCTFRWK].

- A standards track document describing an accounting PIB to be used
  to carry policy usage feedback from the PEP to the PDP [ACCTPIB].

- A standards track defining object syntax for carrying policy
  provisioning information ("Object Syntax"): The working group will
  produce standards track RFCs that specify the syntax of objects
  and their contents for carrying policy information. The working
  group will specifically focus on the syntax of objects needed for
 carrying information related to QoS policy provisioning [SPPI]
  [FRWKPIB].

- A standards track document describing a modular architecture for a
COPS based    Management Framework. The document will address
the COPS message  processing, security and access control and may
specify examples of how the framework may be implemented.
[COPSFRWK]

The working group will continue to document changes to COPS objects
needed to support any extensions to RSVP and extensions to RVSP
directly related to policy control. Specifically the working group
will pursue:
      - A version of draft-ietf-rap-rsvp-newidentity that addresses
         security shortcomings with the current document
         [NEWIDENTITY].
      - A standards track document defining new ErrorValues for the
        RSVP Policy Error Object [RSVPERRVAL].
      - A standards track document defining the framework and
        mechanism for authorizing of RSVP sessions [SESSIONAUTH].
      - A standards track document defining an RSVP Local Policy
        Control Criteria PIB [RSVPPIB].

Documents produced by the working group must fully address all the
security aspects of this type of protocol. In particular, theft and
denial of service threats must be minimized.

Milestones and Goals

Done Submit I-D framework document for policy control for RSVP to IESG
     for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit I-D defining any necessary extensions to RSVP to support
     policy control to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit I-D defining a standard protocol for the exchange of
     policy information between RSVP-capable network nodes and policy
     servers to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit Initial draft of document that specifies COPS usage for
     policy provisioning transactions

Done Working Group last call on revised version of COPS Usage document
     incorporating mailing list discussions

Done Submit COPS Usage document to IESG for publication as an
     Proposed Standard

Done Submit object syntax transport protocol I-D

Done Submit object syntax transport protocol (SPPI) to IESG for
     consideration as a RFC

Dec 00 Submit I-D defining framework of COPS-PR PIB for
       accounting usage
Mar 01 Submit Update draft ACCTPIB

Apr 01 Submit FRWKPIB to IESG for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard

Apr 01 Submit First draft RSVPPIB

Apr 01 Submit First draft RSVPERRVAL

Apr 01 Submit First draft SESSIONAUTH

Jul 01 Submit First draft COPSFRWK

Jul 01 Submit First draft of ACCTFRWK

Jul 01 Submit First draft NEWIDENTITY

Jul 01 Submit Update draft RSVPPIB

Jul 01 Submit Update draft RSVPERRVAL

Jul 01 Submit Update draft SESSIONAUTH

Sep 01 Submit Update draft NEWIDENTITY

Jul 01 Submit Update draft ACCTFRWK

Jul 01 Submit Update draft COPSFRWK

Jan 02 ACCTFRWK Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 ACCTPIB Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 NEWIDENTITY Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 RSVPPIB Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 RSVPERRVAL Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 SESSIONAUTH Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 COPSFRWK Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:28:44 +0100

>>>>> Mark L Stevens writes:

Mark> - A standards track defining object syntax for carrying policy
Mark> provisioning information ("Object Syntax"): The working group
Mark> will produce standards track RFCs that specify the syntax of
Mark> objects and their contents for carrying policy information. The
Mark> working group will specifically focus on the syntax of objects
Mark> needed for carrying information related to QoS policy
Mark> provisioning [SPPI] [FRWKPIB].

Can someone please explain what this means? Is it about defining PIBs?
Is it about defining another SPPI language? Is it about both? Or is it
something completely different? What do you mean with "object syntax"?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: "Mark L. Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:44:00 -0500

This charter element merely refers to the drafts at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt
and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-frameworkpib-04.txt
it is not a new charter item. It is repeated from the previous
charter indicating that we intend to complete the work started
under the auspices of the original charter.

As for the term object syntax, it is a term used to describe
the format of the expressions used to describe the structure
and organization of data. :-)

-Mark