Subject: COPS-PR

From: "vijains" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 06:09:05 -0500

Respected Sir/Madam,
    I have not received any response for my previous mail.So, i am resending the same:-

Q1.What are the Client-Types for COPS-PR and what are their values?

Q2.If an SDK is developed for COPS-PR, what should the user of the SDK specify as a EPD object?

Q3.As a PIB may be referencing other modules or objects in other MIB or PIB, how should the encoder take care of it?

Please lat me know.

---

From: Rajiv Dighe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:14:41 -0500

Q1 is easy to answer. COPS-PR uses 02 as client-type. there is only one 
client type for cops-pr that I know of.
Q2 & Q3 are implementation details & This mailing list may be wrong place to 
ask/answer those questions.  If you can clarify your questions a bit by 
dropping me a private e-mail, I may be able to help.

--Rajiv
On Thursday 29 March 2001 06:09, vijains wrote:
> Q3.As a PIB may be referencing other modules or objects in other MIB or
> PIB, how should the encoder take care of it?
>
>
> Please lat me know.

---

From: "Vito Pinto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:50:51 +0200

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rajiv Dighe" <[email-masked]>
To: "vijains" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: COPS-PR

> client type for cops-pr that I know of.

I have a doubt about this: reading the entire COPS-PR RFC and especially 
the "IANA Consideration" section we find that:

9. IANA Considerations

   COPS for Policy Provisioning follows the same IANA considerations for
   COPS objects as the base COPS protocol [COPS].  COPS-PR has defined
   one additional Decision Flag value of 0x02, extending the COPS base
   protocol only by this one value.  No new COPS Client- Types are
   defined by this document.

The last sentence explicitly says that no new Client-type are defined, so:
Q1: what document specifies the client-type value of 2 ?
Q2: if not specified, what Client-type COPS-PR clients have to use?

Regards 
Vito Pinto

---

From: Rajiv Dighe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:22:24 -0500

I guess I haven't read drafts in a long time...have I? :)

This is what SPPI mentions about client types
---------------------------------
7.  Mapping of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro

7.1.  Mapping of the SUBJECT-CATEGORIES clause

The SUBJECT-CATEGORIES clause, which must be present, identifies one or
more categories of provisioning data for which this PIB module defines
provisioning information.  For use with the COPS-PR protocol, the
individual subject categories are mapped to COPS Client Types [COPS-PR].

-----------------------------------------------------

This implies that it is infact PIB module that identifies client-type to be 
used. client type needed can be either 'all' or list of one or more 
named-number enumerations where number is greater than zero. So Framework PIB 
has SUBJECT-CATEGORY of 'all' & diffserv PIB has SUBJECT-CATEGORY that is as 
of now not determined. 

Last I heard however everyone was supposed to use same client type as the one 
used in older COPS-DS ( 02 ). Atleast that's what the client type used in 
Last interoperability tests was. 

So I guess we should be asking this question in diffserv mailing list & not 
here.

--Rajiv