Subject: assistance please!!!

From: "sridhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 01:37:28 -0500

hi all,
 here are few questions related to cops for rsvp for which i am feeling very much difficult to understand or come to conclusion.

2.5 Synchronization Behavior
[...]
A PEP that caches state from a previous exchange with a disconnected
   PDP MUST communicate this fact to any PDP with which it is able to
   later reconnect. This is accomplished by including the address and
TCP port of the last PDP for which the PEP is still caching state in
   the Client-Open message.

Q>. In what form will PEP store the state of REQ and what are its contents?

_______________________________________________________________________

2.5 Synchronization Behavior

[..]   
   Additionally, the remote PDP may request that all the PEP's
   internal state be resynchronized (all previously installed requests
   are to be reissued) by sending a Synchronize State message.

Q>. When connection is re-established, is only Requests processed in absence of PDP should be reissued OR all previous REQ's ?

Q>. While reissuing the requests, in case new request is to be processed wheather it is done after sending SSC or it can be done between?

__________________________________________________________________________________

3.3 Report State (RPT)  PEP -> PDP

   [..]
   The Report State may also be used to provide periodic updates of
   client specific information for accounting and state monitoring
   purposes depending on the type of the client. In such cases the
   accounting report type should be specified utilizing the appropriate
   client specific information object.

Q>. What exactly do mean by Accounting? When is Accounting RPT message triggered? How does PDP make use of Accounting RPT ..

thanks for help!!                                             
                                                       with warm regards
                                                           bamsi

---

From: "Kulkarni, Amol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:27:01 -0800

Hi Bamsi,

Please see my answers below.

-----Original Message-----
From: sridhar [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2001 10:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: assistance please!!!

hi all,
 here are few questions related to cops for rsvp for which i am feeling very
much difficult to understand or come to conclusion.

Q>. In what form will PEP store the state of REQ and what are its contents?
Amol- It is up to the PEP to store the REQ information internally in any way
it chooses, as long as it is in the required message format when the REQ is
sent to the PDP.
_______________________________________________________________________

[..]   

Q>. When connection is re-established, is only Requests processed in absence
of PDP should be reissued OR all previous REQ's ?
Amol- When the connection is re-established, the PDP may issue a Synchronise
State Request. The PEP should then send all open requests. If any requests
were deleted while there was no connection, the PEP should send explicit
Delete Requests.

Q>. While reissuing the requests, in case new request is to be processed
wheather it is done after sending SSC or it can be done between?
Amol- I think the PEP should not issue new requests until after sending an
SCC. This would allow the PDP to get an accurate picture of the current
resource usage at the PEP before making a decision.
____________________________________________________________________________
______

   [..]

Q>. What exactly do mean by Accounting? When is Accounting RPT message
triggered? How does PDP make use of Accounting RPT ..
Amol- Accounting in this case means reporting how a particular flow uses the
resources allocated to it. It could be used for billing purposes etc.
I am not aware of any formal accounting guidelines for the outsourcing model
of COPS. There is, however, an accounting draft for the provisioning model.
The Accounting RPT is triggerred at periodic intervals as specified by the
PDP. The intervals may vary for different reports, but the frequency must
not exceed that specified by the min accounting interval that the PDP
specifies during connection establishment.

The accounting draft is available here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-acct-fr-pib-01.txt
There is also a draft for an RSVP PIB, which contains some accounting
classes. You might be able to get more information out of it. The draft is
available here:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rawlins-rsvppcc-pib-01.txt.
Please see the pccAllocatedUsageTable and the pccSessionStatsUsageTable.

Amol

thanks for help!!                                             
                                                       with warm regards
                                                           bamsi