Subject: For Discussion at the RAP WG Meeting on Wedneday March 21, 2001

From: "Mark L. Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:49:55 -0500

This is the current draft of the working group charter.
We would like to discuss this charter at tomorrow's
session.

We will focus the discussion on making sure that we
have people willing to contribute to each work item on
the charter.

---begin charter draft---

Description of Working Group:

Recent works in the IETF have led to the development and
standardization of enhanced network services such as QoS and traffic
engineering. The complexity of these services and the variations in
the capabilities of the devices implementing these services provide a
challenge to anyone trying to configure services within medium- and
large-scale networks.

The working group will define general-purpose objects that facilitate
the manipulation of policies and provisioned objects available through
COPS and COPS-PR.  Where appropriate, these will include frameworks
clarifying the applicability of COPS objects and the best practices
for the definition of additional objects defined in other working
groups.

In particular, the group will address the following work items:

 - A framework for defining the usage of COPS for carrying accounting
   information: The working group will produce a standards track
   document defining the usage of COPS for carrying accounting
   information between a PDP and PEPs [ACCTFRWK].

 - A standards track document describing an accounting PIB to be used
   to carry policy usage feedback from the PEP to the PDP [ACCTPIB].

- Complete work on standards track documents for (a) the data
  definition language for COPS-PR [SPPI] and (b) the set of core data
  definitions for QoS policy provisioning [FRWKPIB].

 - A standards track document describing a modular architecture for a
   COPS based Management Framework. The document will address the COPS
   message processing, security and access control and may specify
   examples of how the framework may be implemented.  [COPSFRWK]

 The working group will continue to document changes to COPS objects
 needed to support any extensions to RSVP and extensions to RVSP
 directly related to policy control. Specifically the working group
 will pursue:

       - A version of draft-ietf-rap-rsvp-newidentity that addresses
          security shortcomings with the current document
          [NEWIDENTITY].

       - A standards track document defining new ErrorValues for the
         RSVP Policy Error Object [RSVPERRVAL].

       - A standards track document defining the framework and
         mechanism for authorizing of RSVP sessions [SESSIONAUTH].

       - A standards track document defining an RSVP Local Policy
         Control Criteria PIB [RSVPPIB].

Documents produced by the working group must fully address all the
security aspects of this type of protocol. In particular, theft and
denial of service threats must be minimized.

Milestones and Goals

Done Submit I-D framework document for policy control for RSVP to IESG
     for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit I-D defining any necessary extensions to RSVP to support
     policy control to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit I-D defining a standard protocol for the exchange of
     policy information between RSVP-capable network nodes and policy
     servers to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard

Done Submit Initial draft of document that specifies COPS usage for
     policy provisioning transactions

Done Working Group last call on revised version of COPS Usage document
     incorporating mailing list discussions

Done Submit COPS Usage document to IESG for publication as an
     Proposed Standard

Done Submit object syntax transport protocol I-D

Done Submit object syntax transport protocol (SPPI) to IESG for
     consideration as a RFC

Dec 00 Submit I-D defining framework of COPS-PR PIB for
       accounting usage
Mar 01 Submit Update draft ACCTPIB

Apr 01 Submit FRWKPIB to IESG for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard

Apr 01 Submit First draft RSVPPIB

Apr 01 Submit First draft RSVPERRVAL

Apr 01 Submit First draft SESSIONAUTH

Jul 01 Submit First draft COPSFRWK

Jul 01 Submit First draft of ACCTFRWK

Jul 01 Submit First draft NEWIDENTITY

Jul 01 Submit Update draft RSVPPIB

Jul 01 Submit Update draft RSVPERRVAL

Jul 01 Submit Update draft SESSIONAUTH

Sep 01 Submit Update draft NEWIDENTITY

Jul 01 Submit Update draft ACCTFRWK

Jul 01 Submit Update draft COPSFRWK

Jan 02 ACCTFRWK Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 ACCTPIB Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 NEWIDENTITY Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 RSVPPIB Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 RSVPERRVAL Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 SESSIONAUTH Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard

Jan 02 COPSFRWK Draft to to AD/IESG for consideration as
       Proposed Standard