Subject: [Raven] More comments on Draft:

From: Chris Savage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:59:38 -0500

I have no comments on Section 4.

5. Utility considerations

[[[Replace this:]]]

When designing any communications function, it is a relevant question to ask
if such functions perform the task they are designed for in an efficient
manner, or whether the work spent in developing them is worth the benefit
gained.

[[[With this:]]]

When designing any communications function, it is relevant to ask if such
functions efficiently perform the tasks they are designed for, or whether
the work spent in developing them is not, in fact, worth the benefit gained.

[[[Replace this:]]]

Given that there are no proposals on the table, it is not possible to weigh
proposals for wiretapping directly in this manner.

[[[With this:]]]

Given that there are no specific proposals on the table to enable or
facilitate wiretapping, the IETF cannot weigh proposals for wiretapping
directly in this manner.

. . .

[[[Replace this:]]]

-	Identifying users' points of attachment to the Internet can be
significantly harder, but not impossible, if the user uses standard means of
identification. However, this means linking into multiple Internet
subsystems used for address assignment, name resolution and so on; this is
not trivial.

[[[With this:]]]

-	Identifying points of attachment to the Internet can be
significantly harder, but not impossible, if the users use standard means of
identification. However, this means linking into multiple Internet
subsystems used for address assignment, name resolution and so on; this is
not trivial.

[[[Replace this:]]]

-	An adversary has several simple countermeasures available to him in
order to defeat wiretapping attempts, even without resorting to encryption.
This includes Internet cafes and anonymous dialups, anonymous remailers,
multi-hop login sessions and use of obscure communications media; these are
well known tools in the cracker community.

[[[With this:]]]

-	An adversary has several simple countermeasures available to defeat
wiretapping attempts, even without resorting to encryption. These include
Internet cafes and anonymous dialups, anonymous remailers, multi-hop login
sessions and use of obscure communications media; these are well known tools
in the cracker community.

Chris S.
All views/opinions are my own.

*************************************************************************** 
This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or 
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the 
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission 
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it. 
***************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: "chefren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 00:55:43 +0100

> facilitate wiretapping, the IETF cannot weigh proposals for wiretapping

Auditable version of tcpdump no specific proposal?

+++chefren