Subject: [Raven] Wired News article on IETF document, raven list

From: Declan McCullagh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:32:27 -0500

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,34055,00.html

                        Thumbs Down on Net Wiretaps
                        by Declan McCullagh ([email-masked])

                        3:00 a.m. 3.Feb.2000 PST
                        WASHINGTON -- It took four months, a
                        grim debate, and thousands of mailing list
                        messages, but the group that sets
                        Internet standards has decided not to
                        support wiretapping.

                        The executive committees of the Internet
                        Engineering Task Force dismissed the idea
                        with characteristic understatement,
                        saying they would not "consider
                        requirements for wiretapping" in
                        protocols.

                        The 15 KB draft document released this
                        week caps an unusually public debate
                        inside IETF that was marked by an FBI
                        call to permit wiretaps, Congressional
                        condemnation of the idea, and a
                        flame-ridden mailing list called "raven"
                        that lived up to its homophonous name.

                        But in the end, most members of the
                        loose-knit group that met here in
                        November opposed the idea, and the
                        draft written by the Internet Architecture
                        Board and the Internet Engineering
                        Steering Group is the result.

                        [...]

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven