Subject: RE: [Raven] CALEA & Electronic Surveillance of packet networks (f wd)

From: Chris Savage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:30:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 2/23/00 6:04 PM
Subject: [Raven] CALEA & Electronic Surveillance of packet networks (fwd)

>The nanog mailing list (to which I do not subscribe) carries an
>announcement of ballotting by TIA and Committee T1 on the second
>revision of J-STD-025, which is described as the only "safe harbor"
>standard that currently exists for CALEA.

<snip>

TIA is slightly in error, I think.  The J-STD, as amended by the FCC in some
orders from 8/99, is the only safe harbor that has been approved by the FCC.
A CALEA "safe harbor" exists, however (at least as I read the law) as soon
as it has been made publicly available by the relevant standards
body/industry group that developed it.  I know that CableLabs (the research
arm of the US cable industry) has generated one for voice communications
over cable systems.  I think that the PCIA (a wireless communications trade
association) has also generated one for paging services.  There may be
others as well.

Chris S.

*************************************************************************** 
This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or 
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the 
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission 
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it. 
***************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven