Subject: RE: [Raven] Internet Draft comments

From: Chris Savage <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:42:48 -0500

>-----Original Message-----
>From: P.J. Ponder [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 11:15 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Raven] Internet Draft comments
>
>
>In the interest of nudging the list back toward the actual draft of the
>wiretapping document, I think the document as originally 
>posted is concise
>and addresses the major points that are the subject of the questions
>raised.  
>
>There were some comments about the definition of 
>'wire-tapping', and some
>other more or less substantive comments in the rest of the 
>draft.  These
>comments may deserve further discussion.
>
>Overall, though, I think the draft is more than adequate as it 
>stands to
>set forth a reasoned and articulate policy statement for the IETF, the
>IAB, and the IESG regarding wiretapping.  I don't see any 
>glaring errors
>or 'show-stoppers' in the draft, and I am willing to argue that we have
>reached that state of grace once described as 'rough consensus'.  
>
>We could debate grammatical niceties and diction, but in terms of
>substance, I think we have a policy statement that makes sense 
>and cleary
>states a position.

As the (AFAIK) only proponent of a significant number of word changes, let
me say that I agree.

As I said earlier, the point of my proposed changes was to clarify the
draft's evident intent, not to make actual, substantive changes.  The only
possible exception was that, having defined "wiretapping" for purposes of
the document to relate to communications on the 'net, an example that
asserted that certain telco practices would "be" wiretapping seemed
inconsistent; that discussion received, I think, my heaviest suggested
editorial pen.  But even that was intended to clarify and tighten up the
discussion, not to change its basic thrust in any way.

Time to declare victory and go home?

Chris S.

*************************************************************************** 
This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or 
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the 
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission 
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it. 
***************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
raven mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raven

---

From: "Richard Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:05:40 -0500

I have nothing to add to Chris' comments, which I believe improved the draft
quite noticeably.

Richard Payne

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Savage <[email-masked]>
To: 'P.J. Ponder' <[email-masked]>; IETF Wiretapping List (E-mail)
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 12:42 PM
Subject: RE: [Raven] Internet Draft comments