Subject: Re: [Raw] RAW use-cases draft

From: "Dr. Corinna Schmitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 14:26:43 +0100

Dear Georgies,

I do not know if Nils already answered as he is currently traveling.
So here is some text copied from out LDACS draft
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00) from Chapter 3
entitled "Motivation and Use Cases:

    3
    <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3>.
    Motivation and Use Cases

   Aircraft are currently connected to Air-Traffic Control (ATC) and
   Airline Operational Control (AOC) via voice and data communications
   systems through all phases of a flight.  Within the airport terminal,
   connectivity is focused on high bandwidth communications, while
   during en-route high reliability, robustness, and range is the main
   focus.  Voice communications may use the same or different equipment
   as data communications systems.  In the following the main
   differences between voice and data communications capabilities are
   summarized.  The assumed use cases for LDACS completes the list of
   use cases stated in [RAW-USE-CASES <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#ref-RAW-USE-CASES>] and the list of reliable and
   available wireless technologies presented in [RAW-TECHNOS <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#ref-RAW-TECHNOS>].

      3.1
      <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3.1>.
      Voice Communications Today

   Voice links are used for Air-To-Ground (A/G) and Air-To-Air (A/A)
   communications.  The communication equipment is either ground-based
   working in the High Frequency (HF) or Very High Frequency (VHF)
   frequency band or satellite-based.  All voice communications is
   operated via open broadcast channels without any authentication,
   encryption or other protective measures.  The use of well-proven
   communication procedures via broadcast channels helps to enhance the
   safety of communications by taking into account that other users may
   encounter communication problems and may be supported, if required.
   The main voice communications media is still the analogue VHF Double
   Side-Band Amplitude Modulation (DSB-AM) communications technique,
   supplemented by HF Single Side-Band Amplitude Modulation (SSB-AM) and
   satellite communications for remote and oceanic areas.  DSB-AM has
   been in use since 1948, works reliably and safely, and uses low-cost
   communication equipment.  These are the main reasons why VHF DSB-AM
   communications is still in use, and it is likely that this technology
   will remain in service for many more years.  This however results in
   current operational limitations and becomes impediments in deploying
   new Air-Traffic Management (ATM) applications, such as flight-centric
   operation with point-to-point communications.

      3.2
      <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3.2>.
      Data Communications Today

   Like for voice, data communications into the cockpit is currently
   provided by ground-based equipment operating either on HF or VHF
   radio bands or by legacy satellite systems.  All these communication
   systems are using narrowband radio channels with a data throughput
   capacity of some kilobits per second.  While the aircraft is on
   ground some additional communications systems are available, like
   Aeronautical Mobile Airport Communication System (AeroMACS),
   operating in the Airport (APT) domain and able to deliver broadband
   communication capability.

   The data communication networks used for the transmission of data
   relating to the safety and regularity of the flight must be strictly
   isolated from those providing entertainment services to passengers.
   This leads to a situation that the flight crews are supported by
   narrowband services during flight while passengers have access to
   inflight broadband services.  The current HF and VHF data links
   cannot provide broadband services now or in the future, due to the
   lack of available spectrum.  This technical shortcoming is becoming a
   limitation to enhanced ATM operations, such as Trajectory-Based
   Operations (TBO) and 4D trajectory negotiations.

   Satellite-based communications are currently under investigation and
   enhanced capabilities are under development which will be able to
   provide inflight broadband services and communications supporting the
   safety and regularity of the flight.  In parallel, the ground-based
   broadband data link technology LDACS is being standardized by ICAO
   and has recently shown its maturity during flight tests [SCH191 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#ref-SCH191>].
   The LDACS technology is scalable, secure and spectrum efficient and
   provides significant advantages to the users and service providers.
   It is expected that both - satellite systems and LDACS - will be
   deployed to support the future aeronautical communication needs as
   envisaged by the ICAO Global Air Navigation Plan (GANP). 

Regards,
Corinna

Am 28.11.19 um 13:01 schrieb Georgios Z. Papadopoulos:
> Hello Nils,
>
> Could you please provide some text about the aeronautical
> communications use case thus, we could update the draft accordingly.
> Or you could directly integrate it to the draft.
>
> thanks,
> Georgios

-- 
******************************************************

Dr. Corinna Schmitt
Researcher and Laboratory Supervisor

Research Institute CODE
Universität der Bundeswehr München

Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
85577 Neubiberg, Germany

Phone: +49 (0)89 6004 7314
Email: [email-masked]
https://www.unibw.de/code
https://www.corinna-schmitt.de

---

From: "Georgios Z. Papadopoulos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:21:13 +0100

Dear Corina,

Thank you so much for this.
We should work now on the .02 version.

Keep you posted,
Georgios

> On Dec 2, 2019, at 14:26, Dr. Corinna Schmitt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear Georgies,
> 
> So here is some text copied from out LDACS draft (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00>) from Chapter 3 entitled "Motivation and Use Cases:
> 
> 
> 3 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3>.  Motivation and Use Cases
> 
> 
> 
> 3.1 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3.1>.  Voice Communications Today
> 
> 
> 
> 3.2 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00#section-3.2>.  Data Communications Today
> 
> 
> 
>> Could you please provide some text about the aeronautical communications use case thus, we could update the draft accordingly.
> Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> https://www.unibw.de/code <https://www.unibw.de/code>
> https://www.corinna-schmitt.de <https://www.corinna-schmitt.de/>

---

From: "Dr. Corinna Schmitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:24:39 +0100

Dear Georgios,

you are well come.
Let us know where you need which input, so we can prepare it directly.
An updated version for LDACS is scheduled in Q1 or Q2 of 2020 from our side.

Regards,
Corinna

Am 04.12.19 um 10:21 schrieb Georgios Z. Papadopoulos:
>> On Dec 2, 2019, at 14:26, Dr. Corinna Schmitt
>> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Georgies,
>>
>> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maeurer-raw-ldacs-00) from Chapter
>> 3 entitled "Motivation and Use Cases:
>>
>>
>>     3

Dr. Corinna Schmitt

Research Institute CODE

Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
85577 Neubiberg, Germany