Subject: [rddp] I-D ACTION:draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:11:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Remote 
                          Direct Memory Access (RDMA) Direct Data Placement 
                          (DDP) Adaption
	Author(s)	: R. Stewart
	Filename	: draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2002-10-2
	
This document describes a method to adapt Direct Data Placment (DDP)
and Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) to Stream Control Transmission
Protocol (SCTP) RFC2960 [2] using a generic description found in
[RDMA-Draft] [4] and [DDP-Draft] [3] This adaption provides a method
for two peers to know that each side is performing DDP or RDMA thus
enabling hardware acceleration if available.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Renato Recio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:49:00 -0500

Randall,

My answer to your question #3 (If we do this do we even need DDP, just have
RDMA and then negotiate things from there?):
   As currently layered,  RDMA over SCTP does need DDP.  The DDP layer is
   responsible for placement.  For Tagged messages, the buffer tag (STag)
   is carried in the DDP layer.  Similarly, for Untagged messages, the
   message sequence number (MSN) is used to identify the untagged buffer at
   the data sink and the MSN is carried in the DDP header.  Some RDMA
   messages (e.g. RDMA Write) do not carry an additional header.

   Some key folks "strongly support the separation of DDP from RDMA" is
   that it allows ULPs to choose whether to support the full functionality
   of RDMA (e.g. RDMA Reads) or simply the direct data placement
   functionality of DDP (e.g. Tagged and Untagged Writes).

   In my view, given the direction set in the charter,  we should keep the
   two layers: DDP and RDMA. The implication is that SCTP would need to use
   both layers.

My answer to your question #2:
   I would prefer to see ULPs define the control message they use to
   initialize RDMA layer variable attributes (e.g. maximum number of
   outstanding RDMA Reads).  Some ULPs will already do this to work over
   other transports and it would be nice if the endpoints could provide a
   consistent semantic for these ULPs.

Thanks,

Renato J Recio
Distinguished Engineer
IBM I/O Architecture and Technology
Tel 512-838-3685, T/L 678-3685

                      Internet-Drafts@i                                                                                 
                      etf.org                  To:       IETF-Announce: ;                                               
                      Sent by:                 cc:       [email-masked]                                                  
                      [email-masked]        Subject:  [rddp] I-D ACTION:draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt               
                      rg                                                                                                

                      10/03/2002 06:11                                                                                  
                      AM                                                                                                
                      Please respond to                                                                                 
                      Internet-Drafts                                                                                   

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

             Title                         : Stream Control Transmission
Protocol (SCTP) Remote
                          Direct Memory Access (RDMA) Direct Data Placement

                          (DDP) Adaption
             Author(s)         : R. Stewart

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
             "get draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt".

Send a message to:
             [email-masked].
In the body type:

NOTE:        The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
             MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
             feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
             command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack"
or
             a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
             exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
             "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been
split
             up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation
on
             how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ftp://[email-masked]/internet-drafts/draft-stewart-rddp-sctp-00.txt

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp