Subject: [rddp] iWARP Association conference call - March 31st 1:30 PM EST (1.5 hrs)

From: "Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:16:39 -0500

Event: iWARP Association conference call

Purpose: 
To see if there is sufficient interest to justify 
the establishment of a "light weight" association that 
will address iWARP conformance and interoperability testing needs. 

Time and Date: 
March 31st, 1:30 PM EST (anticipated time 1.5 hrs)

Call number/code: To obtain the call number/code 
email your request to [email-masked]. 

Background:
The availability of detailed conformance suites and effective venues
for interoperability testing can provide a reduction in the market
acceptance cycle of a technology. Historically, conformance tests
for new technologies have become available only after a significant
number of products are already in the market place,
limiting their effectiveness. The goal of this effort is to establish
an industry wide association that will enable the timely
development of conformance test suites and interoperability procedures.
 
In discussions over the past month with a number
of different developers within the iWARP community a set
of primary objectives surfaced, as well as some secondary
objectives. Based on these objectives an initial proposal for
a "light weight" association is presented along with the
anticipated services it would offer. This is intended to be
a starting point for discussion, not a fixed proposal.
 
Primary Objectives: (Appeared to be common across most parties)

The development of timely conformance like tests that will foster
a common understanding of the standard, and enhance interoperability. 
The tests would be designed to help engineering and QA teams 
perform design verification work and would not be structured as 
a "logo" program.  (See not on logo program below)

To enable "effective" interoperability testing, such that developers 
have more options to test against other products in a simple manner.

Secondary Objectives: (These are additional areas of interest expressed
by
different individuals during calls over the past month. They are listed
as 
secondary objectives in that a smaller number of people have express
interest.)

Address the need to increase market awareness of iWARP in an effort to 
reduce the potential entrenchment of current technologies (technology
marketing).

Development and maintenance of an open source implementation of the
iWARP protocol stack.

Establish a common API (DAPL) by which test tools could interface 
with implementations and drive  move involved test processes. 

Establishment of an open and independent logo testing suite

Proposed Structure - The iWARP Association is proposed as a
non-incorporated
entity which organization can join by signing a document that outlines
the basic
rights and responsibilities of the signing parties. The legal and
financial 
transactions, though outlined in "the document", would be between
individual
organizations and a service provider. The association is envisioned
as a limited time entity that creates the necessary technology and
processes for iWARP testing and then is either transformed into a
more formal industry trade association or terminated depending on
perceived value and needs as the technology matures. This model is
along the same lines as the RDMA consortium.

Anticipated services/deliverables to be provided: (initial list)

iWARP conformance test specification - A document containing a complete
list of conformance statements from the iWARP specifications
(rdma, ddp, mpa, others?), along with the associated assertions and
test algorithms. This document would be the basis by which an interested
party could implement an iWARP conformance test suite. The document
would provide a openly reviewed specification detailing how to test a
device
for iWARP conformance.

An implementation of the test suite on some tool - The iWARP conformance
test specification is designed to encourage vendors interested in
creating
iWARP test tools to implement the detailed conformance tests. However,
since commercial vendors may not see sufficient market demand for the
product in the desired time frame, an implementation of the test suite
will
be done (if needed). 

A conformance test service - The primary goal of this effort is to
create
the infrastructure that will allow multiple labs to provide iWARP
testing.
However, a 3rd party testing service will be provided until these
services
can be easily obtained elsewhere.

Organization and running of periodic interoperability test events -
These are
standard "plugfest" type events where products are brought to a common
location and tested in a "community" setting. 

iWARP interoperability Net  - A Virtual Private Network that enables
members to achieve a level of interoperability testing on an ad-hoc
basis
without having to leave their own labs.

Member Involvement - The association is anticipated to be "light weight"
in
terms of the amount of time and resources a member is required to invest
in it.
However, members who wish to address some of the secondary objectives
outlined above may choose to form task forces within the context of the
association.

Cost Structure - A multilevel cost structure is envisioned that allows
companies
to participate at different cost points. All memberships would allow
participation
in interoperability events, additional costs would be associated with
test services
and the test tool.

Other Organizational Structures
Trade Association - An incorporated entity with a board of directors
that would
address a wider range of issues related to iWARP technology. Examples
are the
FCIA and the IBTA.

Agenda for the conference call:
1. Roll call
2. Presentation of the vision
3. Open discussion of the proposed objective and structure
4. Discussion of any additional concerns
5. Defining next steps

Objectives:
1.To obtain sufficient "sense of direction" that a small team of people
would be able to put together a detailed proposal for an iWARP
association
that addresses costs associated with different services.
2. To establish a date for a second conference call or organizational
meeting.

Barry Reinhold
Lamprey Networks
[email-masked]
(603) 868-8411

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp