Subject: [rddp] rdmap-03 spec clarification

From: Patricio Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:24:38 -0700

draft-ietf-rddp-rdmap-03.txt, section 6.1:

"Bits 32-63; Invalidate STag. However, this field is only valid
 for Send with Invalidate and Send with Solicited Event and
 Invalidate Messages (see Figure 4 RDMA Usage of DDP Fields).
 For Send, Send with Solicited Event, RDMA Read Request, and
 Terminate, the Invalidate STag field MUST be set to zero on
 transmit and ignored by the receiver."

Could someone tell me if "ignored by the receiver" means 

1) If it is not zero the receiver MUST NOT generate an error
2) The receiver MUST CHECK that the STag is zero but in case it is 
   it does nothing with it.

thanks in advance,

-patricio kaplan

_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp

---

From: "Culley, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:34:57 -0500

I always thought that "ignored" means don't even look at it; you don't
care what it is.  Checking for zero and then doing nothing is logically
the same as not checking at all...

Paul R. Culley
HP Fellow
281-514-5543

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Patricio Kaplan
> Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 7:25 PM
> To: RDDP
> Subject: [rddp] rdmap-03 spec clarification
> 
> "Bits 32-63; Invalidate STag. However, this field is only 
> valid  for Send with Invalidate and Send with Solicited Event 
> and  Invalidate Messages (see Figure 4 RDMA Usage of DDP Fields).