Subject: [regext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-regext-dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04.txt

From: Matthew Pounsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:26:15 -0700

We've submitted a new version of the Third-Party Operator draft for review.
  There's one outstanding issue–brought up at the Prague meeting–regarding
conflict resolution of data received via multiple update mechanisms (e.g.
EPP and CDS) which the authors are in disagreement about.  We're submitting
-04 with the updates we do agree on in order to prevent the draft from
expiring, but my personal hope is that we'll have an update including the
remaining issue within the next couple of weeks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 September 2017 at 18:23
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-ietf-regext-dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04.txt
To: Jacques Latour <[email-masked]>, Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>,
Matthew Pounsett <[email-masked]>, Olafur Gudmundsson <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-regext-dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Matthew Pounsett and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-ietf-regext-dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol
Revision:       04
Title:          Third Party DNS operator to Registrars/Registries Protocol
Document date:  2017-09-12
Group:          regext
Pages:          15
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-regext-
dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-
dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-regext-dnsoperator-
to-rrr-protocol-04
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-regext-
dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-regext-
dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol-04

Abstract:
   There are several problems that arise in the standard
   Registrant/Registrar/Registry model when the operator of a zone is
   neither the Registrant nor the Registrar for the delegation.
   Historically the issues have been minor, and limited to difficulty
   guiding the Registrant through the initial changes to the NS records
   for the delegation.  As this is usually a one time activity when the
   operator first takes charge of the zone it has not been treated as a
   serious issue.

   When the domain uses DNSSEC it necessary to make regular (sometimes
   annual) changes to the delegation, updating DS record(s) in order to
   track KSK rollover.  Under the current model this is prone to delays
   and errors, as the Registrant must participate in updates to DS
   records.

   This document describes a simple protocol that allows a third party
   DNS operator to: establish the initial chain of trust (bootstrap
   DNSSEC) for a delegation; update DS records for a delegation; and,
   remove DS records from a secure delegation.  The DNS operator may do
   these things in a trusted manner, without involving the Registrant
   for each operation.  This same protocol can be used by Registrants to
   maintain their own domains if they wish.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat