Subject: [Resolverless-dns] definition of resolverless operation

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:45:47 +0200

Dear resolverless-participants,

let me start with a simple question:
What should I imagine when I read "resolverless" DNS?

Does it mean that "each client does DNS resolution on its own"?

That would resemble situation where each client has its own DNS resolver
instance and does full recursion.

Is this analogy correct? If not, what other definition of resolverless
is used in this mailing list?

Thank you for your patience with people who were not in Montreal!

-- 
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 14:41:36 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 01:45:47PM +0200,
 Petr Špaček <[email-masked]> wrote 

> What should I imagine when I read "resolverless" DNS?

The way I understand it, there is a resolver, but the clients can also
get domain name data without going through a resolver. For instance,
the HTTP server you are currently talking with could push domain name
data to you (may be with a variant of DoH) and you may accept it, and
even populate your cache with it (the rationale being that the HTTP
server for example.com may be at least as authoritative for
foobar.example.com than the resolver).

<img src="https://www.ietf.org/static/img/ietf-logo.e4b6ca0dd271.gif"
ip="2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:55"/>

---

From: nusenu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 18:44:00 +0000

> What should I imagine when I read "resolverless" DNS?

dkg presented the idea at the IETF101 DoH meeting session,
although it had a different name at the time, it might be useful as an intro nonetheless

recording (~40min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijYo6ZXGWU&feature=youtu.be&t=3814

slides
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/slides-101-doh-opportunistic-dns-00

-- 
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu