Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8039 on Multipath Time Synchronization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 08:45:09 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8039

        Title:      Multipath Time Synchronization 
        Author:     A. Shpiner, R. Tse,
                    C. Schelp, T. Mizrahi
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 39763
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8039

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8039

Clock synchronization protocols are very widely used in IP-based
networks.  The Network Time Protocol (NTP) has been commonly deployed
for many years, and the last few years have seen an increasingly
rapid deployment of the Precision Time Protocol (PTP).  As
time-sensitive applications evolve, clock accuracy requirements are
becoming increasingly stringent, requiring the time synchronization
protocols to provide high accuracy.  This memo describes a multipath
approach to PTP and NTP over IP networks, allowing the protocols to
run concurrently over multiple communication paths between the master
and slave clocks, without modifying these protocols.  The multipath
approach can significantly contribute to clock accuracy, security,
and fault tolerance.  The multipath approach that is presented in
this document enables backward compatibility with nodes that do not
support the multipath functionality.

This document is a product of the Timing over IP Connection and Transfer of Clock Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org