Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8264 on PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8264

        Title:      PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and 
                    Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application 
                    Protocols 
        Author:     P. Saint-Andre, 
                    M. Blanchet
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 105530
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7564

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-precis-7564bis-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8264

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8264

Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
need to properly handle such strings in order to enforce
internationalization rules for strings placed in various protocol
slots (such as addresses and identifiers) and to perform valid
comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
application protocols to perform the preparation, enforcement, and
comparison of internationalized strings ("PRECIS") in a way that
depends on the properties of Unicode code points and thus is more
agile with respect to versions of Unicode.  As a result, this
framework provides a more sustainable approach to the handling of
internationalized strings than the previous framework, known as
Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This document obsoletes RFC 7564.

This document is a product of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org