Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8305 on Happy Eyeballs Version 2: Better Connectivity Using Concurrency

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:00:46 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8305

        Title:      Happy Eyeballs Version 2: Better 
                    Connectivity Using Concurrency 
        Author:     D. Schinazi, T. Pauly
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32917
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6555

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8305

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8305

Many communication protocols operating over the modern Internet use
hostnames.  These often resolve to multiple IP addresses, each of
which may have different performance and connectivity
characteristics.  Since specific addresses or address families (IPv4
or IPv6) may be blocked, broken, or sub-optimal on a network, clients
that attempt multiple connections in parallel have a chance of
establishing a connection more quickly.  This document specifies
requirements for algorithms that reduce this user-visible delay and
provides an example algorithm, referred to as "Happy Eyeballs".  This
document obsoletes the original algorithm description in RFC 6555.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org