Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8283 on An Architecture for Use of PCE and the PCE Communication Protocol (PCEP) in a Network with Central Control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:49:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8283

        Title:      An Architecture for Use of 
                    PCE and the PCE Communication Protocol 
                    (PCEP) in a Network with Central 
                    Control 
        Author:     A. Farrel, Ed.,
                    Q. Zhao, Ed.,
                    Z. Li, 
                    C. Zhou
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 56368
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8283

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8283

The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a core component of Software-
Defined Networking (SDN) systems.  It can compute optimal paths for
traffic across a network and can also update the paths to reflect
changes in the network or traffic demands.

PCE was developed to derive paths for MPLS Label Switched Paths
(LSPs), which are supplied to the head end of the LSP using the Path
Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP).

SDN has a broader applicability than signaled MPLS traffic-engineered
(TE) networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a range
of use cases including static LSPs, segment routing, Service Function
Chaining (SFC), and most forms of a routed or switched network.  It
is, therefore, reasonable to consider PCEP as a control protocol for
use in these environments to allow the PCE to be fully enabled as a
central controller.

This document briefly introduces the architecture for PCE as a
central controller, examines the motivations and applicability for
PCEP as a control protocol in this environment, and introduces the
implications for the protocol.  A PCE-based central controller can
simplify the processing of a distributed control plane by blending it
with elements of SDN and without necessarily completely replacing it.

This document does not describe use cases in detail and does not
define protocol extensions: that work is left for other documents.

This document is a product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org