Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8333 on Micro-loop Prevention by Introducing a Local Convergence Delay

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 16:27:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8333

        Title:      Micro-loop Prevention by Introducing a 
                    Local Convergence Delay 
        Author:     S. Litkowski,
                    B. Decraene,
                    C. Filsfils,
                    P. Francois
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 63119
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8333

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8333

This document describes a mechanism for link-state routing protocols
that prevents local transient forwarding loops in case of link
failure.  This mechanism proposes a two-step convergence by
introducing a delay between the convergence of the node adjacent to
the topology change and the network-wide convergence.

Because this mechanism delays the IGP convergence, it may only be
used for planned maintenance or when Fast Reroute (FRR) protects the
traffic during the time between the link failure and the IGP
convergence.

The mechanism is limited to the link-down event in order to keep the
mechanism simple.

Simulations using real network topologies have been performed and
show that local loops are a significant portion (>50%) of the total
forwarding loops.

This document is a product of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org