Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8364 on PIM Flooding Mechanism (PFM) and Source Discovery (SD)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 16:28:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8364

        Title:      PIM Flooding Mechanism (PFM) and 
                    Source Discovery (SD) 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands,
                    S. Venaas,
                    M. Brig,
                    A. Jonasson
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 44640
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8364

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8364

Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) uses a
Rendezvous Point (RP) and shared trees to forward multicast packets
from new sources.  Once Last-Hop Routers (LHRs) receive packets from
a new source, they may join the Shortest Path Tree (SPT) for the
source for optimal forwarding.  This document defines a new mechanism
that provides a way to support PIM-SM without the need for PIM
registers, RPs, or shared trees.  Multicast source information is
flooded throughout the multicast domain using a new generic PIM
Flooding Mechanism (PFM).  This allows LHRs to learn about new
sources without receiving initial data packets.

This document is a product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org