Subject: [rfc-dist] Moved to Proposed Standard: RFC 8279 on Multicast Using Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

RFC 8279 has been reclassified as Proposed Standard.

        RFC 8279

        Title:      Multicast Using Bit Index Explicit 
                    Replication (BIER) 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, Ed.,
                    E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    A. Dolganow,
                    T. Przygienda,
                    S. Aldrin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2017
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 97283
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bier-architecture-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8279

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8279

This document specifies a new architecture for the forwarding of
multicast data packets.  It provides optimal forwarding of multicast
packets through a "multicast domain".  However, it does not require a
protocol for explicitly building multicast distribution trees, nor
does it require intermediate nodes to maintain any per-flow state.
This architecture is known as "Bit Index Explicit Replication"
(BIER).  When a multicast data packet enters the domain, the ingress
router determines the set of egress routers to which the packet needs
to be sent.  The ingress router then encapsulates the packet in a
BIER header.  The BIER header contains a bit string in which each bit
represents exactly one egress router in the domain; to forward the
packet to a given set of egress routers, the bits corresponding to
those routers are set in the BIER header.  The procedures for
forwarding a packet based on its BIER header are specified in this
document.  Elimination of the per-flow state and the explicit
tree-building protocols results in a considerable simplification.

This document is a product of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication Working Group of the IETF.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org