Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8462 on Report from the IAB Workshop on Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 17:48:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8462

        Title:      Report from the IAB Workshop 
                    on Managing Radio Networks in an 
                    Encrypted World (MaRNEW) 
        Author:     N. Rooney, 
                    S. Dawkins, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       October 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 62281
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-marnew-report-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8462

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8462

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) and GSM Association (GSMA) held
a joint workshop on Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World
(MaRNEW), on September 24-25, 2015.  This workshop aimed to discuss
solutions for bandwidth optimization on mobile networks for encrypted
content, as current solutions rely on unencrypted content, which is
not indicative of the security needs of today's Internet users.  The
workshop gathered IETF attendees, IAB members, and participants from
various organizations involved in the telecommunications industry
including original equipment manufacturers, content providers, and
mobile network operators.

The group discussed Internet encryption trends and deployment issues
identified within the IETF and the privacy needs of users that should
be adhered to.  Solutions designed around sharing data from the
network to the endpoints and vice versa were then discussed; in
addition, issues experienced when using current transport-layer
protocols were also discussed.  Content providers and Content
Delivery Networks (CDNs) gave their own views of their experiences
delivering their content with mobile network operators.  Finally,
technical responses to regulation were discussed to help the
regulated industries relay the issues of impossible-to-implement or
bad-for-privacy technologies back to regulators.

A group of suggested solutions were devised, which will be discussed
in various IETF groups moving forward.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org