Subject: [rfc-dist] BCP 218, RFC 8429 on Deprecate Triple-DES (3DES) and RC4 in Kerberos

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 14:14:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 218        
        RFC 8429

        Title:      Deprecate Triple-DES (3DES) and RC4 in Kerberos 
        Author:     B. Kaduk,
                    M. Short
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22340
        Updates:    RFC 3961, RFC 4120
        See Also:   BCP 218

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-curdle-des-des-des-die-die-die-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8429

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8429

The triple-DES (3DES) and RC4 encryption types are steadily weakening
in cryptographic strength, and the deprecation process should begin
for their use in Kerberos.  Accordingly, RFC 4757 has been moved to
Historic status, as none of the encryption types it specifies should
be used, and RFC 3961 has been updated to note the deprecation of the
triple-DES encryption types.  RFC 4120 is likewise updated to remove
the recommendation to implement triple-DES encryption and checksum
types.

This document is a product of the CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practice for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org