Subject: [rfc-i] The RFC Format docs are now RFCs

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:14:27 -0800

Hello all,

The RFC Format requirements documents were published this morning. This
represents an enormous amount of work on the part of the RFC Format
Design Team, and an enormous amount of patience and feedback from the
community. Of course, the work isn't quite done - all of these RFCs will
undergo a -bis cycle so we can document the "as built" instead of just
the "as proposed." But regardless of the amount of work still to come,
this is a big milestone for the project!

So, thank you all, and stay tuned for the next steps of code
development, testing, and collecting feedback!

-Heather Flanagan, RSE

The RFC Format Design Team:

  * Nevil Brownlee (ISE)
  * Heather Flanagan (RSE)
  * Tony Hansen
  * Joe Hildebrand
  * Paul Hoffman
  * Ted Lemon
  * Julian Reschke
  * Adam Roach
  * Alice Russo
  * Robert Sparks (Tools Team liaison)
  * Dave Thaler

The RFCs, in suggested reading order:

  * "RFC Format Framework " - https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7990
  * "The "xml2rfc" Version 3 Vocabulary" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7991
  * "HTML Format for RFCs" - https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7992
  * "Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Requirements for RFCs" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7993
  * "Requirements for Plain-Text RFCs" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7994
  * "PDF Format for RFCs" - https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7995
  * "SVG Drawings for RFCs: SVG 1.2 RFC" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7996
  * "The Use of Non-ASCII Characters in RFCs" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7997
  * ""xml2rfc" Version 3 Preparation Tool Description" -
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7997

_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:37:50 -0800 (PST)

Heather,

This is great news, congratulations to all involved!

If you want me to publish a follow-on article in IPJ
about this work, I am happy to do so. It's a good way
to get the word out I think.

Cheers,

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office:  +1 415-550-9433
Cell:    +1 415-370-4628
Docomo:  090 3337-9311
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 11:39:21 +0100

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 01:37:50PM -0800,
 Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote 

> This is great news, congratulations to all involved!

I concur.

> If you want me to publish a follow-on article in IPJ about this
> work, I am happy to do so. It's a good way to get the word out I
> think.

And now that we can add non-ASCII characters in RFCs :-) time to talk
about the RFCs in french :-)

http://www.bortzmeyer.org/7990.html

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 22:03:22 +0100

Congratulations!

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:17:53 +0100

Congratulations to all!

Eliot

On 12/16/16 6:14 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> The RFC Format requirements documents were published this morning.
> This represents an enormous amount of work on the part of the RFC
> Format Design Team, and an enormous amount of patience and feedback
> from the community. Of course, the work isn't quite done - all of
> these RFCs will undergo a -bis cycle so we can document the "as built"
> instead of just the "as proposed." But regardless of the amount of
> work still to come, this is a big milestone for the project!
>

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:31:50 +0100

Well done!!!

   Patrik Fältström ;-)

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:15:42 -0500

> http://www.bortzmeyer.org/7990.html

And now that we have the guidance ... we need the tools to actually make
it work! You won't see a RFC with nonASCII characters (or any of the
other features we've described in the format requirement RFCs) quite
yet, but I appreciate the enthusiasm in looking forward to it!

-Heather