Subject: [rfc-i] HTML version of xml documents

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 10:50:43 -0800

G'day,

I'm reacting to output for Internet Drafts, but feel that format issues 
for RFCs and I-Ds should be the same, and this is the only solid venue 
for discussing such things, so...

The html version of an xml2rfc document is little more that a txt 
version with active links.  (Maybe nothing more; maybe a little more; I 
haven't done an actual audit.)

Also a disclaimer:  I haven't tracked recent discussions about 
html-izing RFCs.  I'm just reacting to what output is now being 
generated for drafts.  I thought I heard a long time ago that some 
professional graphic design was going to be applied to this, but it 
clearly hasn't reached the html generator for I-Ds...

It's important that the ability to have fonts and graphics not lead to 
excessive formatting cleverness, but I think we also lose readability 
benefits by ignoring these features.

To that end, I suggest at least these kinds of changes:

0. Pagination

    Don't.

1. Headings

    The only current action is to make the heading bold.

    I suggest also varying font size, according to heading level.

    I also choosing a non-black, dark color, for additional emphasis. 
I'm a fan of dark blue.  Julan seems to currently favor green.

    Vary the vertical spacing above the heading, again according the 
heading level.

    Hmmm.  Html does a number of things when using it's own heading 
constructs, whereas the current generator invents span-based mechanisms. 
  So perhaps most of what I'm suggest devolves to:  use html heading and 
tweak fontcolor and size.)

2. Tables

    Use html tables, rather than emulating the text ascii style

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 11:36:44 -0800

> haven't done an actual audit.)

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

> clearly hasn't reached the html generator for I-Ds...

The format gods are amused, as I was typing up the request for feedback
on that professional design while you were typing this!

> benefits by ignoring these features.

Well, yes. That has been part of the plan all along.

> To that end, I suggest at least these kinds of changes:

Not in the HTML, no.

>    I also choosing a non-black, dark color, for additional emphasis. I'm
> a fan of dark blue.  Julan seems to currently favor green.
> 

You're going to provisionally approve of the new CSS. I'm sure you'll
have more immediate suggestions when you do. :-)

>    Use html tables, rather than emulating the text ascii style

Yes, we already took that into account.

-Heather

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:16:55 -0800

> Yes, we already took that into account.

Oh goodie.

Thanks!

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 10:24:08 -0800

> have more immediate suggestions when you do. :-)

I'm tempted to ask what provisions I'll be asserting, demanding, or...? 
But that would be distracting...

> Evaluate spacing before heading, so it is not excessive. Evaluate heading font size, so it isn't too large. Consider non-black (dark) color for heading text. (eg, dark blue.)

Anyhow, I do see the CSS thread and have lodged an 'issue' in the git 
tracker:

      Evaluate spacing before heading, so it is not excessive. Evaluate 
heading font size, so it isn't too large. Consider non-black (dark) 
color for heading text. (eg, dark blue.)

Current spacing for the top-level headings seems excessive.  Font size 
also seems too large.

But yeah, overall, quite nice!

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker