Subject: [rfc-i] Is RFC 7841 a normative reference?

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:10:49 -0400

RFC 7841 requires this sort of text in the boilerplate:

   For IETF stream documents, a similar reference is added: "Further
   information on (BCPs or Internet Standards) is available in Section 2
   of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for
BCP and Standard Track documents; "Not all
   documents approved by the IESG are a candidate for any level of
   Internet Standards; see Section 2 of RFC 7841
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for all other
   categories.

The precise boilerplate differs but they all require something.

Should I add this as a normative or an informative reference? I think it

should be normative but the text does not make this clear.

In my document prep system, it has to be entered as one or the other in the

catalog to create the link.
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:15:24 -0700

On 7/12/17 3:10 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>    information on (BCPs or Internet Standards) is available in Section 2 of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for BCP and Standard Track documents; "Not all
>    Internet Standards; see Section 2 of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for all other
>    categories.
> 
> 

Hi Phil,

The RFCs noted in boilerplate don't go in the references at all, unless
they are also listed in the main body of the document.

-Heather