Subject: Re: [rfc-i] RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:26:48 +0200

On 14/09/2017, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the first RFC to be published with UTF-8 encoding and include characters not in the
> basic ASCII character set.

Interesting, and a quick sanity test with
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8187 works for me (= can see an € in
3.2.3), that should also cover all WikiMedia and MediaWiki projects
linking to tools.ietf.org (not limited to RFCs, I-Ds are also often
linked via tools.ietf.org). So now I can finally replace an ancient
copy of vintage 2005 draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-01.txt by a more up to
date RFC 8140 ;-)

Skeptical, maybe the Unicode emoji for ;-) does not yet work
everywhere, some folks including me are still using Windows 7 and not
planning to upgrade before 2020.
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:29:50 +0200

On 2017-09-22 18:54, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> ...
> That's an excellent question. I think this is something to discuss with
> both the IESG and the Tools Team, though I am fairly confident that
> "right now" isn't possible. An idnits update is one of the tools
> contracted for, and is not yet complete (see the expected timeline here:
> https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/FormatToolsPlan). Also,
 > ...

Currently says "End of January". Note that all I'm asking for is a way 
to disable the "all ASCII" check.

> we've seen that the datatracker isn't rendering non-ASCII characters
> correctly in the PDF automatically generated from RFC 8187
> (https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/2370). So, there is
> still some work to do before this will all work.

FWIW, this is not about the PDF (which is fine), but the fact that 
datatrackers's TXT-to-HTML conversion doesn't work properly (in contract 
to the one used for the HTML on tools.ietf.org).

It would be awesome to see some progress here.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:41:58 +0200

Hi Julian,

> to disable the "all ASCII" check.

It should be feasible to tweak the current idnits in this respect -- but
that's going to permit non-ascii in a lot of places where the exact rules
would not permit non-ascii.  Better checks will still have to wait for the
new idnits.

> It would be awesome to see some progress here.

It's on my to-do list, but not at the very top.  Will see what I can do.

Best regards,

	Henrik