Subject: [Rfced-future] Propose to close Issue 72: Ability to remove RSWG chairs

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 11:15:21 +0200

According to Peter, the text in -01 will read:

>     Each appointing body shall have the power
>     to remove its appointed chair at its discretion.
>
Please comment by the 28th of August if this poses you concerns.

Eliot

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 17:24:01 -0400

> Please comment by the 28th of August if this poses you concerns.
I think we should say:

Each appointing body shall have the power to remove its appointed chair at its discretion at any time.

Russ

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:16:52 -0700

> its discretion at any time.

I agree with Russ. I thought the previous text was OK but it's good to be
clear.

-Ekr

> Russ
>
> --
> Rfced-future mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/rfced-future
>

---

From: "StJohns, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 11:28:22 -0400

S/appointed chair/appointed member/

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 18:20:47 +0200

Ok, more context (my apologies for not giving more earlier):

This is about the RSWG chairs.  The text around it reads as follows:

    When the RSWG is formed, the chair
    appointed by the IESG shall serve for a term of one (1) year and the
    chair appointed by the IAB shall serve for a term of two (2) years;
    thereafter, chairs shall serve for a term of two (2) years, with no
    term limits on renewal.  The appointing bodies shall determine their
    own processes for making these appointments, such as provision for an
    open nominations period.  Community members who have concerns about
    the performance of an RSWG chair should direct their feedback to the
    relevant appointing body.  Each appointing body shall have the power
    to remove its appointed chair at its discretion.

What Russ is proposing is changing the last sentence.

There is no formal membership for the RSWG.  I believe your comment 
pertains to the RSAB, and what the group has agreed there is that each 
appointing body will establish their own procedures for their delegates 
to the RSAB.

Eliot

On 15.08.21 17:28, StJohns, Michael wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 17:24 Russ Housley <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     <https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/rfced-future>
>
>

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:16:26 -0400

Oh - it's *that* section...

In that case,   s/remove/replace   and add "and such replacement shall 
serve the remainder of the term of the chair they are replacing." to 
Russ' amendment.    Otherwise you could end up with some confusion of 
the replacement's term.

But if we're giving the groups carte blanche to replace their members at 
any time, and no term limits, then terms are mostly irrelevant.

So maybe delete from "When the RSWG..." to "... limits on renewal." and 
s/remove/replace/ in Russ' amendment.

Other tweaking may actually be necessary - it may take a few months to 
get the appointing bodies to appoint a chair.  Maybe provide provision 
for interims appointed from the bodies themselves for a shorter term?

Lastly, what happens if either of the two groups decline to provide a 
chair?

Mike

On 8/15/2021 12:20 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> appointing body will establish their own procedures for their 
> delegates to the RSAB.
>
> Eliot
>
>