Subject: [rmcat] Agenda rquest/suggestion: intelligent packet drop

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:51:12 -0700

Dear RMcat WG chairs

given how there seem to have been some interest or at least discussion about
the methods of intelligent packet dropping, i would like to sugest to have a short
5 min slot at the RMcat agenda for '88 to just give an overview of the idea (not that
it's new, but i don't think it has been reviewed as a tool for RMcat).

I think the overall idea of intelligent dropping of video frames is becoming quite
common in switching codecs to deal with congestion based rate reductions, but
what i think is much less clear to the application audience in RMcat is that
the same could be achieved via intelligent dropping in router/switches devices
exactly where the congestion happens - and therefore also helping to much faster
resolve burst collisions like those happening during (re-)startup of RMcat flows.

Given how RMcat tries to have very fast up/downspeeding for vidoe flows, i think
it would be very useful to know what tools could help to achieve this, and intelligent
dropping in the network could be quite a useful tool.

This isn't meant to give dertails of marking options or normalizatin (which we
hve a draft for - draft-lai-tsvwg-normalizer-02.txt), but rather to let RMcat
folks understand how this tool could help their rate-control mechanisms. We
have some results through simulation and running code to lean on.

Btw: if there is a better IRTF group to talk about, please let me know.

Cheers
    Toerless