Subject: [RMT] Questions on PGM

From: "Anumita Biswas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:27:40 -0700

Hi,

The PGM RFC3208 states that, 

Every PGM transport session is identified by a TSI. This TSI consists
of a global source ID(GSI) together with the data source port. A
recommended value of the GSI is computed using the MD5 signature of the
DNS name. 
My question is why the DNS name is preferred over the source's IP
address. Is it because the DNS name can be valid across multiple IPs(in
a cluster setup allowing easy failover) or because the IP addresses may
be non-unique or behind a firewall?

Second question is on the Late Join Option. How does a source know when
to send the OPT_JOIN option. Is it a decision source makes on its own,
or is it triggered by an event like a NAK coming in. 

-ab

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt