Subject: [Rmt] Summary of ALC PI presentation

From: "Michael Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:01:12 -0800

Dear RMTers,
Attached below are the slides on the presentation I gave in the RMT working
group (in both .ppt and .ps formats).  I would like to move forward with
revising ALC PI as quickly as possible (WEBRC 01 has already been
resubmitted), so I'm summarizing below what I think the sense of the group
was on each of the ALC PI issues:

Slide 3:
	Point 1: No quibbles with the clarification that a session is from one
sender.
	Point 2: The sense of the group was that the ALC PI should be left as it is
in the 06 draft and not accept the proposal, i.e., the ALC PI document
should specify that a TSI is explicitly required in each packet.  This
sentiment was expressed by a couple of people publicly in the meeting, and
in private by a few more afterwards.

Slide 4: There was consensus that the proposal for relaxing the requirements
on communication of the FEC Object Information to receivers was ok.  No
dissension on this.

Slide 5:
	Point 1: The sense of the group was that the ALC PI should be left as it is
in the 06 draft and not accept the proposal, i.e., the ALC PI document
should specify that a TOI must be carried for each object in any session
that carries more than one object.  A couple of people came to the
microphone to express discomfort with not doing this, and one person came up
to the microphone and pointed out that there is a whole working group that
is devoted to saving a few bits here and there in packet headers, but it
should not be the approach of the RMT.  Again, some private comments
supporting leaving the draft as it is after the meeting.
	Point 2: There were no objections to the proposal to explicitly limit the
scope of the TOI to the session, i.e., the TOI is scoped by the (IP sender
address, TSI) pair.

I'm going to revise the ALC PI over the next couple of days and resubmit it,
so please send any additional comments soon to the list if you can.
Thanks, Mike