Subject: [Rmt] RFC 3940 on Negative-acknowledgment (NACK)-Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:04:41 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3940

        Title:      Negative-acknowledgment (NACK)-Oriented
                    Reliable Multicast (NORM) Protocol
        Author(s):  B. Adamson, C. Bormann, M. Handley, J. Macker
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       November 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      80
        Characters: 220549
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-10.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3940.txt

This document describes the messages and procedures of the
Negative-acknowledgment (NACK) Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM)
protocol.  This protocol is designed to provide end-to-end reliable
transport of bulk data objects or streams over generic IP multicast
routing and forwarding services.  NORM uses a selective, negative
acknowledgment mechanism for transport reliability and offers
additional protocol mechanisms to allow for operation with minimal "a
priori" coordination among senders and receivers.  A congestion
control scheme is specified to allow the NORM protocol to fairly share
available network bandwidth with other transport protocols such as
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).  It is capable of operating with
both reciprocal multicast routing among senders and receivers and with
asymmetric connectivity (possibly a unicast return path) between the
senders and receivers.  The protocol offers a number of features to
allow different types of applications or possibly other higher level
transport protocols to utilize its service in different ways.  The
protocol leverages the use of FEC-based repair and other IETF reliable
multicast transport (RMT) building blocks in its design.

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicase Transport Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt