Subject: [rohc] Alternative approach for replication

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:45:31 +0200

One more idea...

There is an alternative approach for introducing the replication
mechanism. Since we can not add replication support to previously
defined profiles without making a profile upgrade (basically a new
profile), we just have to make sure replication is done in an 
unambiguously defined IR packet. As proposed earlier, this can 
be done be defining an new common packet type, but an alternative
approach could be to define this in the profile specific part of
IR/IR-Dyn packets for new profiles supporting replication. Then we
do not even have to define any new packet types on the framework
level. The interpretation would then be an issue only for the new
profile(s), as it should be. We do not at all need a new packet
type, IR's are already profile specific and can incorporate
replication support for new profiles.

I just got this idea so there might be problems I have not thought
of yet. If anyone can see any problems with this, please let us
know. Otherwise, I think this approach is appealing.

/L-E

-----------------------------------
Lars-Erik Jonsson, M.Sc
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research and Experiments
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit
Ericsson AB
Box 920, S-971 28 Luleå, Sweden
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +46 920 20 21 07
Fax: +46 920 20 20 99
Home: +46 920 999 57

My opinions are my personal opinions and should not be considered
as the opinions of my employer, if not explicitly stated. 

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:30:12 +0200

Still waiting for comments on this one...

/L-E

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB) 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 16 augusti 2002 10:46
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [rohc] Alternative approach for replication
> 
> 
> One more idea...
>

---

From: "Qian Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:13:59 +0800

Lars-Erik,

We do agree that we can add replication support by defining it in the profile specific part of IR packets for new profiles supporting.
We noticed that without using the variable length profile-specific information, there still one bit, (x), left in the IR packet header for "Profile specific information". This bit is profile-specific and can be defined by profile. So, for TCP profile, we can define it as the flag to indicate whether this packet is an IR packet or a replication packet. 

That is to say, it is not necessary to define a new common packet type for replication packet.

Qian

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 2002年8月27日 20:30
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: Mark West (E-mail); Qian Zhang
Subject: RE: [rohc] Alternative approach for replication

/L-E