Subject: RE: [rohc] About "draft-jonsson-rohc-ip-only-00.txt"

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:24:39 +0200

Hi all,

In Yokohama, we got support for defining an IP-only compression
profile, although there were some questions about which approach
should be taken.

1)
The original intension was to make an RFC3095-like profile, just
defining how to easily modify the RFC3095 profiles for IP-only
compression. That profile would then be useful for compression
of not-yet-supported transports.

2)
In Yokohama, a different argument for an IP profile was mentioned.
The argument was to allow simple implementations, so that the 
largest part of all headers (IP) could be compressed with a
minimalistic implementation. This would call for a completely
different solution than the RFC3095-like.

Personally, I still think 1) is what we should do immediately,
just to make the 3095 suite of profiles complete. That should
not have to require much work. We could potentially do 2) later
on, but that would be a new work item and require more work.
Further, I am not sure if requirement 2) would not be met by
RFC2507, but that is an issue for future discussions if we
decide to look at it.

Any opinions, otherwise I suggest we stick to the current approach.

Rgds,
/L-E

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lars-Erik Jonsson (EPL) 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 18 juni 2002 15:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rohc] About "draft-jonsson-rohc-ip-only-00.txt"
> 
> 
> Hi again,
> 
> Since RFC 3095 was published, people have asked why there is no 
> compression profile for IP only. Therefore, I wrote an extremely
> short draft defining such a profile, based on the UDP/IP profile
> of RFC 3095. If you have any comments on this draft, please let
> me know not later than June 29, and I will incorporate them in 
> an update before the ID cut-off (July 1).
> 
> BR
> /L-E
> 
> 
> > 	Title		: RObust Header Compression (ROHC):
> >                   A Compression Profile for IP
> > 	Author(s)	: L-E. Jonsson
> > 	Filename	: draft-jonsson-rohc-ip-only-00.txt
> > 	Pages		: 5
> > 	Date		: 11-Jun-02
> > 	
> > The original RObust Header Compression (ROHC) RFC, RFC 3095, defines
> > a framework for header compression, along with compression protocols
> > (profiles) for IP/UDP/RTP, IP/ESP, IP/UDP, and also for uncompressed
> > packet streams. However, no profile was defined for 
> compression of IP
> > only, which has been identified as a flaw in RFC 3095. This document
> > addresses that problem and defines a ROHC compression 
> profile for IP,
> > similar to the IP/UDP profile defined by RFC 3095, but simplified to
> > exclude UDP.
> > 
> > A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> > 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jonsson-rohc-ip-only-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc