Subject: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:06:38 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Robust Header Compression Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol-Enabled BNF-Based LanguagE (PEBBLE)
	Author(s)	: R. Price et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt
	Pages		: 36
	Date		: 2002-11-1
	
This draft defines PEBBLE: a formal notation for describing the 
behavior of protocols or protocol stacks. The notation is designed to 
provide information useful in 'protocol-aware' compression 
algorithms, for example the header compression profiles compatible 
with the Robust Header Compression (ROHC) framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Price, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:42:07 -0000

Hi,

The draft that's just been published defines a "formal notation"
similar to ABNF (RFC 2234), which can be used to describe the behaviour
of protocol stacks in a well-defined manner. The information provided
by the notation is useful for generating new ROHC packet formats.

The description of a protocol stack is built up from a library of
encoding rules similar to those used in RFC 3095 (LSB encoding, list-
based encoding etc). The current library is taken from the original
<draft-west-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt> but with some new rules
suggested in <draft-liao-rohc-notation-00.txt>.

The main change since <draft-west-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt> is that
we no longer formally define the behaviour of each encoding rule using
pseudocode. We've opted instead for a much simpler definition based on
pre- and post-conditions: for example LSB encoding is now defined by:

LSB(#k,#p) ::= RANGE(context_length(index),context_value(index)-p,2^k)

The above definition replaces a page of pseudocode, which we believe
makes the draft a lot simpler and more implementation-independent.
However, we'd be grateful for comments on this or any other aspects of
the draft.

Regards,

Richard

P.S. I apologise profusely for the notation's daft name, and I'd
welcome suggestions for a better one ;-)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 3:07 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-00.txt
> 
> 
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc