Subject: [rohc] draft-saifullah-rohc-tcp-early-comp*-00.txt

From: Ghyslain Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:30:28 +0100

Hi Yousuf,

Regarding draft-saifullah-rohc-tcp-early-compression-00.txt and
draft-saifullah-rohc-tcp-early-comp-in-gprs-00.txt:

My current understanding is that these drafts:

1) describes the ground principles behind the idea of populating a
   ROHC-TCP decompressor context prior to the use of ROHC IR packets.
2) defines a generic approach ("Early Compression Enabler") that uses
   out-of-band mechanisms ("Early Compression mechanisms"), as well
   as the necessary additions required within the profile definition
   for the in-band part of the approach. This may be used to populate
   a ROHC-TCP decompression context prior to in-band initialization.
3) provides an example when applied in a gprs system.

How well these drafts relates to the ROHC WG is somewhat unclear to me,
for the following reasons:

- I believe that the idea behind reusing information already present
  at the decompressor side is already part of the currently ongoing
  work around context replication in draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-03.txt
- I believe that out-of-band mechanisms for improving the
  performance of ROHC should not be addresed by the WG, but
  within the respective applicable standardization bodies of the
  related technology.

Once out-of-band mechanisms are not considered by the WG, what is left
are the in-band additions. The in-band functionality necessary to
identify reusable information already present at the decompressor is
already part of the context replication work for ROHC-TCP. Therefore I
am not sure if these drafts bring new useful information to this WG.

Best regards,

/Ghyslain Pelletier
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit
Ericsson AB
Luleå, Sweden
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc