Subject: [rohc] Packets formats for ROHC-TCP and ROHC-FN

From: Ghyslain Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:32:44 +0200

ROHCers,

With consideration for the ROHC-TCP profile, in order to make a decision
regarding the packet formats I feel that we need to get the discussion
around the formal notation moving again.

To this objective, I'd like to know what the consensus is regarding the
following:

* Nature of the Formal Notation

  o The precise scope and purpose of the FN
  o The requirements and objectives of the FN. What should it exactly
achieve?
  o Do we need to have a draft to list scope, purpose, requirements and
    motivations for the FN to help us better understand how to proceed
with
    this item?

* Contents of the FN draft

The FN draft is written with ROHC-TCP in mind in the sense that the set
of encoding methods documented contains exactly the set of methods
proposed by the authors for use with the TCP profile. However, the text
itself would apply to other profiles if this set would be augmented.

  o Should the FN be generic enough so that it can be reused easily when
    defining new profiles, or shold it be specific to ROHC-TCP only?

* Status of the FN - where do we go from now?

It seems that the FN cannot progress unless there are some more
discussions on the mailing list regarding at least the above points.
From the author's perspective, the work is complete and only
clarifications and improvements are needed, however I am still unclear
on how to make all the pieces fit together, at least concerning
ROHC-TCP.

  o How to go forward with ROHC-TCP and the FN?

I think it would be useful at this point to discuss the above.

Regards,

/Ghyslain

Ghyslain Pelletier, Dipl. Ing.
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit

Ericsson AB, Laboratoriegränd 11
Box 920, S-97128 Luleå, SWEDEN
Phone : +46 (0) 920 20 24 32 
Mobile: +46 (0) 706 09 27 73
[email-masked]
http://www.ericsson.com
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc