Subject: [rohc] SigComp implementer's guide

From: "Surtees, Abigail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:28:28 -0000

Hi All,

I'm intending to revise the implementer's guide before Christmas as it is
due to expire on Christmas Day!  I propose the following text for section
5.2 based on the email exchange that finished with mail
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/rohc/current/msg01754.html.

"5.2 Multiple State Retention Priorities

   There may be confusion when the same piece of state is created at two
   different retention priorities.  The following clarifies this:

      The retention priority should be associated with the compartment
      and not with the piece of state.  For example, if endpoint A
      creates a piece of state with retention priority 1 and endpoint B
      creates exactly the same state with retention priority 2, there
      should be one copy (assuming the model of state management
      suggested in SigComp [1]) of the actual state but each compartment
      should keep a record of this piece of state with its own priority.
      (If this does not happen then the state may be kept for longer
      than A anticipated or less time than B anticipated depending on
      which priority is used.  This could cause Decompression Failure to
      occur.)

      If the same piece of state is created within a compartment with a
      different priority, then one copy of it should be stored with the
      new priority and it should count only once against SMS.  That is,
      the state creation updates the priority rather than creates a new
      piece of state."

Comments and other issues that should be added would be appreciated.  I
realise some people are already on their Christmas holidays and so may not
see this.  The issue of continuous mode (see my other mail about continuous
mode/multiplexing issues) is on going, consequently I expect there to be a
further revision of the draft, so anything missed now can be added then.  I
plan to submit the draft on Monday.

Best regards,

Abbie

Abbie Surtees
Senior Engineer
Networks
Roke Manor Research Ltd
Old Salisbury Lane
Romsey, SO51 0ZN
Tel:   +44 (0) 1794 833131

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc