Subject: [rohc] Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Robust Header Compression' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:29:46 -0500

The IESG has approved following documents:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Robust Header Compression '
   <draft-ietf-rohc-mib-rtp-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

- 'RObust Header Compression (ROHC):Terminology and Channel Mapping 
   Examples' 
   <draft-ietf-rohc-terminology-and-examples-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Robust Header Compression Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

  This document defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it describes a set of managed objects that allow
   monitoring of running instances of RObust Header Compression (ROHC).
   The managed objects defined in this memo are grouped into three MIB
   modules.  The ROHC-MIB module defines managed objects shared by all
   ROHC profiles, the ROHC-UNCOMPRESSED-MIB module defines managed
   objects specific to the ROHC uncompressed profile, the ROHC-RTP-MIB
   module defines managed objects specific to the ROHC RTP (Real-Time
   Transport Protocol) profile, the ROHC UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
   profile, the ROHC ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload) profile, and
   the ROHC LLA (Link Layer Assisted) profile.

   The Informational document "ROHC Terminology and Channel Mapping
    Overview" discusses terms such as ROHC instances, ROHC
   channels, ROHC feedback, and ROHC contexts, and how these terms
   relate to other terms such as network elements and IP interfaces,
   commonly used for example when addressing MIB issues.   
 
Working Group Summary
 
  The working group strongly supported advancement of these documents.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   The ROHC MIB received extensive review on behalf of the MIB Doctors by
    C.M. Heard.  It was additionally reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.  

   The documents were also reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

RFC Editor Note

Replace the Informational document's title:

Old:
ROHC: Terminology and Channel Mapping Examples

New:

                   RObust Header Compression (ROHC):
                 Terminology and Channel Mapping Overview

Replace the entire Security Considerations of "ROHC: Terminology and
Channel Mapping Examples"  (the Informational document) :

Old:

Security Considerations

   This document is of an informative nature, and does not have any
   security aspects to address.

New:

Security Considerations

   The clear understanding of ROHC channels and their relations to
   IP interfaces and the physical medium plays a critical role in
   ensuring secure usage of ROHC.  This document is therefore a valuable
   adjunct to the Security Considerations found in RFC 3095 and other ROHC
   specifications, however, as it just reviews information and definitions,
   it does not add new security issues to the ROHC protocol specifications

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc