Subject: [rohc] Physical deletion of states

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:06:08 +0530

Hi All,
            I have a doubt about the physical deletion of states when all 
the compartments using these states are closed. In 
draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-01
it says that :
 
"A SigComp endpoint may offer to keep a state created upon request from 
its peer endpoint during a dialog beyond the duration of that dialog. This 
may improve compression efficiency of SIP messages generated by the same 
peer endpoint in subsequent dialogs.  In that case, it can inform its peer 
SigComp endpoint by announcing the (partial) state ID in the returned 
SigComp parameters at the end of the dialog. That signals the state will 
be maintained until the associated timer times out. Since there is no 
mechanism in SigComp and SIP to convey the timeout value, a default value 
needs to be specified"

Can you tell me in what scenario this retaining of states till the expiry 
of timer help in compression efficiency of SIP messages?
Please clarify on this.

Regards
Anil N