Subject: [rohc] Regarding STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE,

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:35:16 +0530

Hi Richard,

                     I have a query regarding the STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE
instructions. Suppose i want to implement a compression algorithm,
now when should i add the STATE-CREAT,STATE-FREE instructions in the
algorithm.

Say suppose i chose to call the STATE-CREATE instruction as the first one
instruction in my algorithm , then  under what circumstances could there be
more
than one STATE-CREATE requests.

I would appreciate any information/feedback regarding this.

Thanks
    Azim

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: suman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:26:07 +0530

Hi Azim,

    Comments inline !!!

thanks
suman

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Richard Price" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:35 PM
Subject: [rohc] Regarding STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE,

> now when should i add the STATE-CREAT,STATE-FREE instructions in the
[suman]: this depends on the implementation strategy and compression
algorithm used.
In any case, STATE_CREAT instruction will not be executed until the
application has
given a valid compartment id.

> than one STATE-CREATE requests.
[suman]: One example wherein there could be more than one state-create
instructions
is when the remote endpoint wishes to ask the other endpoint to save the
bytecode
as well as the decompressed message as seperate states for future reference.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:30:59 +0530

Hi Suman,

           As you mentioned that adding the STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE
depends on implementation strategy and compression
algorithm used.
My question is :
1>Is there any implementaion guideline for implementing the compression
algorithm OR is it upto the discreation of the implementor of the algorithm
to add these (STATE-CREATE /STATE-FREE) instruction anywhere. What i mean
exactly is whether are there any logical points where these instructions
have to be added.

According to your second point : "One example wherein there could be more
than one state-create
instructionsis when the remote endpoint wishes to ask the other endpoint to
save the bytecodeas well as the decompressed message as seperate states for
future reference"

 I don't agree to this points, say for instance you are operating in a
proxy mode,  then would it be possible to save thousand of decompressed
messages.

Thanks
 Azim

             suman                                                         
             <[email-masked]                                             
             m>                                                         To 
                                       Azimul Mannan/BLR/HSS@HSS, Richard  
             04/21/04 10:26 AM         Price <[email-masked]>        
                                                                        cc 
                                       [email-masked],         
                                       [email-masked],             
                                       [email-masked]                       
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [rohc] Regarding                
                                       STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE,            

                                                                           

Hi Azim,

    Comments inline !!!

thanks
suman

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Richard Price" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:35 PM
Subject: [rohc] Regarding STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE,

[suman]: One example wherein there could be more than one state-create
instructions
is when the remote endpoint wishes to ask the other endpoint to save the
bytecode
as well as the decompressed message as seperate states for future
reference.

---

From: suman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:04:49 +0530

Hi Azim,

Regarding your first query, the answer is
"it is upto the discreation of the implementor of the algorithm
to add these (STATE-CREATE /STATE-FREE) instruction anywhere. "

regarding your second query,
while operating in proxy mode, a compartment could be created on a session
basis.
Only one decompressed message will be stored at any point of time in a
compartment.
When a new message is received from the peer endpoint, it will replace the
old version
of the decompressed message.

If the proxy is handling thousands of sessions from various endpoints, and
is not able
to support the memory requirements, it can swtich to stateless compression.

thanks
suman

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "suman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Richard Price" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [rohc] Regarding STATE-CREATE,STATE-FREE,