Subject: [rohc] SigComp state creation and the state retention priority

From: "Lepine, Jean-Pierre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:57:42 -0500

Hi all,
 
I would just like to confirm something regarding SigComp state creation and
the state retention priority.
 
Initially, I thought that trying to create a state item in a compartment
could NEVER push state items with a higher priority out of the compartment.
In particular, suppose a compartment uses its full amount of SMS with state
items of priority 1, I thought that trying to create a state item with
priority 0 would fail without any effect on the compartment's content.
 
However, after reviewing RFC 3320, I now understand that for the above
example, one or more state items of priority 1 MUST be pushed out of the
compartment (freed) until enough memory is available to create the state
item of priority 0. More generally, a state item with a given priority, even
the highest, CAN be pushed out of a compartment by the creation of state
items with lower priorities. In other words, a newer state item is
considered more important than an older state item, even if the older one
has a higher priority.
 
Am I right ?
 
If so, I guess there are some key motivations behind this design choice but
I don't really see them. I find this to be not very practical as a
compressor must be careful not only with the chosen state priorities, but
also with the order of state creation requests. 
 
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc