Subject: [rohc] New Draft for Support of Reordering and Constant IP-ID

From: "Kapoor, Rohit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:00:49 -0800

Hi All,

We submitted a draft regarding adding Support for Reordering and
Constant IP-ID to the RTP profile to IETF. The link to the draft is
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kapoor-rohc-rtp-new-requiremen
ts-00.txt.

The following is an abstract of the draft:

"RObust Header Compression (ROHC), RFC 3095, defines a framework for 
header compression, along with a number of compression protocols 
(profiles). This document seeks to add support for two issues to basic 
RoHC profiles, (a) the ability to handle reordering and (b) avoid extra 
header overhead when IP-ID is a constant value. The first issue can be 
supported by making the value of p (which is part of the RoHC 
interpretation interval) configurable. The second issue is already 

supported in the IP Profile of RoHC (RFC 3843)."

Please note that this draft is not very different from what is already
contained in the "RoHC over Channels that can Reorder Packets" draft and
RFC 3843. The main additional thing this draft talks about is to make
the 'p' value configurable. The reason for making the p value
configurable is that link characteristics differ. Some links produce
out-of-order delivery, while others always deliver packets in order.
Moreover, some links can drop consecutive packets, whereas in other
links, such bursty errors are rare or do not occur. In other words, the
p value that works best for one type of link may not be optimal for
another. Thus, RoHC implementations can choose the best value of p to
use depending upon link characteristics.

Please offer your comments on the draft.

Thanks,

Rohit

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc