Subject: [rohc] Integration of Heder Compression and IPsec

From: "Ertekin Emre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:10:52 -0500

All,

We recently submitted a draft which details requirements for achieving
Header Compression over IPsec Security Associations (HCoIPsec, see email
below).  Our goal is to reduce the overhead associated with packets
traversing between IPsec SA endpoints.  The proposal is to compress the
inner (e.g., RTP/UDP/IP) packet headers at an IPsec SA endpoint before
packet encryption takes place.  After the compression function
completes, the IPsec device will subsequently encrypt the packet, append
the outer (e.g., ESP/IP) headers to the encrypted packet, and transmit
the packet.  

The HCoIPsec requirements detailed in the I-D apply to both transport
and tunnel mode SAs; however, if a HC scheme is applied over a transport
mode SA, only the upper (e.g., RTP/UDP) headers may be (de)compressed at
the SA endpoints.

We anticipate that extensions to existing header compression algorithms
need to be made in order to achieve the requirements detailed in the
draft.  For example, current HC algorithms (ROHC, ECRTP) need to be
extended to be independent of the underlying link layer, since they will
now operate over SA endpoints (instead of over a link).

Please let us know if you have any comments.

Best Regards,
Emre Ertekin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Requirements for Integrating Header
Compression 
			  over IPsec Security Associations
	Author(s)	: E. Ertekin, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2005-3-22
	
Internet Protocol security mechanisms, such as IP Security (IPsec)
   [IPSECARCH], provides various security services for IP traffic.
   However, the benefits offered by IPsec may come at the cost of
   increased overhead.  This document identifies requirements for IP
   header compression over IPsec (HCoIPsec).  HCoIPsec proposes to
   reduce the amount of packet overhead associated with the transmission
   of traffic over tunnel/transport mode security associations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc