Subject: RE: [rohc] new-ID: ROHC values for Framed-Compression attribute

From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:11:45 -0400

Hi Lars-Erik,

Thanks for the suggestion. I read section 9 of the ROHC implementer's
guide. Basically, it says that the negotiation protocol must ensure that
the compressor and the decompressor have ways to negotiate the 8-bit
MSBs of the PROFILE to indicate supported variants for a particular
profile (8-bit LSBs). 

I guess MN-NAS PROFILE negation depends on the link establishment
protocol in use. In case of PPP, the NAS receives this attribute from
the RADIUS server at LCP phase. Hence during the IPCP phase the NAS can
negotiate only the authorized (via this attribute) and supported
variants of the ROHC profiles that it supports. 

I guess we can add a section to describe the NAS behavior. The actual
negotiation of the profile will be negotiation protocol dependent. We
can say that this draft provides a mechanism to exchange ROHC specific
profiles and variants between the NAS and the RADIUS server. The
negotiation of the profiles and variants is link protocol dependent.

Or we can simply point to section 9 of ROHC implementer's guide for
MN-NAS profile negotiation considerations.

Comments?

-Kuntal

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lars-Erik Jonsson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:11 AM
> To: Chowdhury, Kuntal; Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB); [email-masked]
> Cc: Seshadri, Arun
> Subject: Re: [rohc] new-ID: ROHC values for Framed-Compression
attribute
> 
> > 5) How does this relate to the supported set of profiles being
> > negotiated during the ROHC channel establishment? Does it
> > have to be absolutely coherent with the profile set?
> [KC>] The supported set of ROHC profiles are negotiated between MN and
> the NAS. Hence, I would assume that the NAS would negotiate only those
> profiles with the MN that it supports and that are returned in the
> Access-Accept from the RADIUS server. Do you think we need this
> clarification in this ID?
> 
> [LEJ]: I might be a good idea to read the 3095 implementer's guide
> section that talks about the PROFILES negotiation.
> 
> /L-E
> 
> 

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email-masked] -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:35:38 +0200

> MN-NAS profile negotiation considerations.

I think it would be better if you actually say this and not refer to the
impl. guide, who looks at references? =)

/L-E