Subject: [rohc] WGLC Reveiw RFC3095 Implementer's guide

From: Carl Knutsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:48:37 +0100

Lars-Erik, all,

Over all, I am pretty pleased with ROHC Implementer's guide. I have some
comments...

When referring to a section to another document, you have to specify the 
document, not just the section. It is not clear if it refers to this 
document (Implementer's guide) or the rfc3095. Maybe this is common 
practice for updating rfcs.

Section 8.10:

It could be worth to mention that this section applies to profile 3 
(ESP) too. rfc3095 section 5.12.2 specifies that profile 3 uses the same 
packet formats as profile 2. It wouldn't hurt to write it one more time.

Section 8.13:
" Sequence Number: Not sent when the offset from the sequence number
                       of the compressed header is constant. When the
                       offset is not constant, the sequence number is
                       compressed by sending LSBs. See 5.8.4."

The reference to section 5.8.4 is a bit confusing. At least until I 
realized that the text is copied from rfc3095. Please include a 
reference to rfc3095 in this section. Quotation marks are used in 
earlier sections, it could be used here too.

In section 6.2 and 8.3, I believe it should be explained that the 
context is updated with index-item pairs for UO-1-ID with extension3. It 
could be added as a reference to section 5.4.

Regards,

Carl Knutsson
Effnet AB

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:18:29 +0100

Carl,

Thanks for the review, responses inline...

Rgds,
/L-E

> Lars-Erik, all,
> 
> Over all, I am pretty pleased with ROHC Implementer's guide.
> I have some comments...
> 
> When referring to a section to another document, you have to
> specify the document, not just the section. It is not clear if
> it refers to this document (Implementer's guide) or the rfc3095.
> Maybe this is common practice for updating rfcs.

The introduction clearly says:
  "Note that all section and chapter references in this document refer
   to [1], where not stated otherwise."

The reason is that all issues brought up in this document are about
3095 (where not explicitly stated otherwise).

I will make sure we make clear when references are within this document.

->> Will check in-document references!

> (ESP) too. rfc3095 section 5.12.2 specifies that profile 3
> uses the same packet formats as profile 2. It wouldn't hurt to
> write it one more time.

True, I will modify that to say profile 2 (UDP) and 3 (ESP)

->> Modify section heading and text in 8.10

> earlier sections, it could be used here too.

Good observation, I will add that.

->> Add "from section 5.8.4.3" between "rule" and "applies".

> context is updated with index-item pairs for UO-1-ID with extension3.
> It could be added as a reference to section 5.4.

True!

->> Add reminding pointer to This:5.4 in both 6.2 and 8.3.